Sr. Visual Designer (Mobile)
Product | San Francisco, CA or New York, NY | Full Time
Foursquare helps you and your friends make the most of where you are. We're a small but highly ambitious company with millions of users worldwide relying on foursquare to keep up with friends, discover what's nearby, save money and unlock deals. We’re also helping over a million registered merchants ranging from local businesses to global brands connect with their customers.
To thrive as a member of team Foursquare, you must embrace our exciting work-hard, play-hard environment. We're not afraid to move fast and break things as we release, launch, iterate, update and announce -- sometimes all in the same day. We're a closely-knit team and, especially at the end of a long day over beers, we feel like we're inventing the future together.
About the role:
Foursquare is seeking a passionate, curious, creative, and thoughtful visual designer to join our Product team. We believe we're fundamentally changing the way people experience the world around them and we want someone who's dying to play a huge role in designing and defining these new experiences.
This person will work closely with the rest of our design team to continue to evolve the brand across all channels. You're someone who's comfortable designing interfaces on the web and on mobile devices. You never make a design decision without considering the impact on the overall experience. You're comfortable quickly iterating your way to a final, well-thought out design solution. You know how to articulate the rationale behind every design decision you make. You know how to toe the line between practical and playful.
There's a lot to get done and the right candidate will be invigorated by the chance to work closely across disciplines within the company in order to achieve those goals - we're especially looking for a candidate who approaches Design with a very strong sense of the overall user experience and can even pitch in and sketch out some wireframes if the need arises.
We work as a tight cross-disciplinary team here so you need feel comfortable working closely with Engineering and Business Development as well as your fellow Product team members.
- Understanding the foursquare brand and have your interface design always reflect that understanding
- Help establish and reinforce consistent visual design patterns across platforms
- Be able to easily pivot between high level product discussions and the low level implications of those discussions
- Work closely with our product managers, ux designers and engineers to define the best way to approach a problem
- Know how to ask the right questions
- 3-5 years designing experiences across multiple platforms (and a portfolio that reflects it)
- A portfolio that includes self-started personal projects for which you had total creative control. It could be an app, website, blog but it should be something where you were able to realize your vision.
- Hands on experience designing interface for mobile devices
- A genuine understanding of the location-based services space
- Ability to empathize with a variety of different kinds of users
- Passion and ideas about where the foursquare product can go
- Bonus: iconography and illustration skills
We're hiring in both our SOMA, San Francisco and SoHo, New York City offices. We offer a competitive compensation package including equity options for all employees.