Product | New York, NY
Foursquare helps you and your friends make the most of where you are. We're a small but highly ambitious company with millions of users worldwide relying on foursquare to keep up with friends, discover what's nearby, save money and unlock deals. We’re also helping over a million registered merchants ranging from local businesses to global brands connect with their customers.
To thrive as a member of team Foursquare, you must embrace our exciting work-hard, play-hard environment. We're not afraid to move fast and break things as we release, launch, iterate, update and announce -- sometimes all in the same day. We're a closely-knit team and, especially at the end of a long day over beers, we feel like we're inventing the future together.
About our Product Analyst Position:
Do you want to help build a service that tens of millions of people use to discover great places to go and the best things to do once they get there? Does the idea of working with a unique data set of over 4.5 billion check-ins, 50 million places, and 35 million tips excite you? Can you dig into our usage data -- from writing Hive queries to analyzing results in Excel/R/Python to building visualizations in Tableau -- to help the product team develop insights into how to make our growth engine hum faster?
If so, this is a role for you.
You don’t need to have a CS background, though you’ve hopefully taken at least a few courses. You don’t need to be familiar with SQL/Hive, but you should want to learn quickly and get your hands dirty. You don’t need to have tech industry experience, but if you’re a consultant or in finance then you should be a self-starter genuinely excited about building new consumer tech products with a desire to pick up a ton of new skills.
- Be a core part of the product team. Work closely with product managers and engineers to understand user behavior, diagnose trends and guide product direction using your analytical toolset.
- Work closely with the executive team on business analysis and corporate strategy (e.g. board meetings and investor support).
- Distill complex data analysis into clear summaries and recommendations.
- Own company level performance dashboards as well as work with individual teams to develop their own.
- Have a better pulse on how Foursquare is doing than anyone else; the CEO should chat with you when he has a question about how key metrics are moving and the “why” behind the numbers.
- Help develop processes to evaluate and track data/algorithm quality over time.
- 4-6 years of experience in an analytical/quantitative position.
- Bachelor/Master’s degree in an analytical field preferred: CS/Engineering/Econ/Math/Stats/Physics/etc.
- Excel feels like a second home: VLOOKUP, pivot tables, conditional formatting. When your co-workers can’t figure out how to build a complex model, you’re the person they go to for help.
- Experience or familiarity with SQL, Hive, Python, and other languages for data gathering and analysis.
- Experience with data viz tools like Tableau. Edward Tufte is your role model.
- Basic understanding of statistical analysis, experiment design, and multivariate testing.
- Strong business intuition and judgment: identify and map our key company metrics and revenue drivers
- Must be a self-motivated team player and be able to work in a small, fast-paced environment without much oversight initiating and driving multiple projects in parallel.
- OCD perfectionist for getting analyses correct; pragmatist for getting things done on time.
This position is based in our New York City headquarters in SoHo. We offer a competitive compensation package including equity options.