Senior Manager, Package Development & Engineering
Packaging | New York, NY | Full Time
We’re FORMA. An incubator, accelerator, and curator of today’s beauty brands.
We celebrate, support, and seek those changing the world through creative expression. Each brand in our portfolio is thoughtfully selected, acquired, or created because of the products it offers, the stories it tells, and the beauty it spreads.
We’re a team made of: Equal parts thinkers and doers. Visionaries and operators. Strategists and creatives— we're united by a fierce entrepreneurial spirit. Our dive in, roll your sleeves up, get your hands' dirty approach to every project leads to extraordinary outcomes, and to some of the most popular beauty products on shelves today. We're a creative, professional, highly collaborative, seasoned, well-oiled team. We're in the business of beauty for a reason. There's nothing our team of 200+ people loves more than a good challenge, a great product, and the opportunity to make, celebrate, and spread beauty at scale.
The Senior Manager, Package Development & Engineering will represent the culture and DNA of the brand by leading sourcing, packaging, and production for new launch initiatives. The role will identify, source, and develop new packaging solutions to include primary, secondary and tertiary systems and technologies that support the brand development and product strategy. The Senior Manager will lead sourcing functions through supplier negotiations, supplier onboarding, audits, and timing. Additionally, they will act as technical expert for brand to determine usage, design, and quality requirements are met for a successful product launch. They will lead necessary supplier and tooling qualification, testing and value engineering solutions contributing to consumer wins. They will manage technical discovery phase of NPD projects in order to conclude assessments of the cost and technical feasibility and manage impacts to related functions such as supply chain, finance, consumer usage and intellectual property.
- Drive innovation into brand with new concepts, technology, and delivery systems that support Product Development and Brand initiatives.
- Provide comprehensive feasibility for each project that includes program cost, tooling estimates, development lead time, and manufacturability.
- Determine tooling strategy that supports program forecast and weekly rate of production requirements to meet launch timing.
- Lead cost feasibility and analysis for new launches to ensure margin targets are met. Coordinate with Brand and Product Development partners where needed to ensure cost and project requirements are met. Recommend changes where needed to maintain targets.
- Manage cost negotiations with suppliers to ensure cost targets and timeline requirement are met.
- Lead design for manufacturability while achieving the brand positioning through the development stages. Support Onsite qualifications, line trial’s, compatibility, scale-up and Mass production as required.
- Oversee operations timelines for new launches to ensure all brand and supplier milestones are met for an on-time launch. Effectively communicate timelines to cross-functional partners and suppliers.
- Manage tooling kick-off, qualification, and validation for all newly tooled project. Ensure fit, form, and function of each tooled package is met from drawing stage through tooling completion.
- Work with Production and Quality to define package specifications, design criteria, and quality defect ranges to ensure all package quality requirements are met. Ensure optimal process flow with partners from manufacture of components through filling and assembly.
- Oversee the on-going quality and production of new and existing components and formulas, production scale up and continued operations by supporting the QA manager and factory to trouble shoot any on-going issues.
- Build value analysis into every project to ensure each is the most cost effective while achieving stated design criteria, function, and quality guidelines.
- Provide technical reports and risk analysis with recommended solutions or guidance to business owners.
- Work collaboratively with the entire Morphe Team, support initiatives and execute with diligence and excellence.
- Lead process improvement initiatives within Packaging, Sourcing, and production.
Key Working Relationships:
- Brand Development
- Project Management
- Sourcing and Production
- Product Development/Regulatory
- Distribution and Transportation
- Quality Assurance
- Third Party Supply Partners
Required Skills & Experience:
- BS in Packaging Science
- +7 -10 years packaging, sourcing, and operations experience with the Health and Beauty industry
- Strong Technical Development Experience
- Experience leading process improvement initiatives
- Strong organization and follow up skills
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and prioritize
- Strong problem-solving capabilities and a hands-on approach.
- Good project management skills
- Good interpersonal skills
Must be able to perform essential functions (with or without an accommodation) without posing a "direct threat" to the health and safety to self or others.
The Company reserves the right to alter, change, abolish and even combine jobs depending upon changing conditions.