Senior Director, Packaging Design
Creative | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
We’re FORMA. An incubator, accelerator, and curator of today’s beauty brands.
We celebrate, support, and seek those changing the world through creative expression. Each brand in our portfolio is thoughtfully selected, acquired, or created because of the products it offers, the stories it tells, and the beauty it spreads.
We’re a team made of: Equal parts thinkers and doers. Visionaries and operators. Strategists and creatives— we're united by a fierce entrepreneurial spirit. Our dive in, roll your sleeves up, get your hands' dirty approach to every project leads to extraordinary outcomes, and to some of the most popular beauty products on shelves today. We're a creative, professional, highly collaborative, seasoned, well-oiled team. We're in the business of beauty for a reason. There's nothing our team of 200+ people loves more than a good challenge, a great product, and the opportunity to make, celebrate, and spread beauty at scale.
Summary of Position:
The Senior Director of Packaging Design is responsible for the development, execution and production of all brand packaging concepts and 3D design expression across all FORMA brands. The roles oversees a team of designers and production artists in the conceptualization and execution of various forms of 3D brand expression, including product and launch conceptualization, component development and design, secondary packaging, PR kits and marketing materials, limited edition and custom packaging projects. In collaboration with the Creative Director, the position will identify trends and inspiration for each product and conceptualize and appropriate design solutions, strategies, and systems that reflect and develop the brand look as well as maintaining and evolving core packaging. This position is responsible for collaborating and gaining alignment cross functionally with multiple stakeholders across the organization as well as with external partners and influencers to deliver elevated brand expressions which address all business needs throughout all forms of customer and external partner contact. While this person is extremely hands-on in conceptualization, design, and brand development, they also are a strong collaborator, manager, process thinker, and business thinker.
- Conceptualizes highly creative and innovative brand expressions to address brand and product strategies, and translate into products which create engaging customer experiences, which excite and support customers as well as support business strategies.
- Partner closely with brand, product development, visual merchandising, marketing, social, and creative teams to support key messaging / design objectives for all projects.
- Partner with VP of Creative to concept key product and seasonal presentations for executive review.
- Partner with Brand, Product Development, Sourcing, and Creative Operations to ensure that all product standards are developed, maintained and adapted as needed, and projects are on time and within budget.
- Partner with Brand, Product Development, Regulatory, Sourcing, and Creative Ops to create and refine processes and workflow.
- Manage a team of designers and production artists, both internal, freelance and contract resources, as well as a multitude of external vendors in delivery of all projects.
- Prepare and lead the team through rapid growth of the business and department, onboarding new hires and refining workflows as appropriate
Required Skills & Experience:
- Minimum 7-10 years experience in packaging design and component development.
- BA, Industrial Design or Graphic Design degree preferred.
- Proficient in 3D/CAD software (eg. Cinema 4D, 3D Studio Max, Solidworks, Rhino), Rendering software (eg. Houdini, Keyshot), Google Sketchup, Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Microsoft Office.
- Must have a strong working knowledge 3D and 2D modeling and rendering principles and practice, industrial design processes and considerations, graphic design, typography, composition, color proofing, print processes, cosmetics product development.
- Experience leading and growing a team
- High level of initiative, able to work independently on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent ability to develop conceptual brand expressions, design strategies and branding systems, and designing product componentry and secondary packaging.
- Strong conceptual, organizational, prioritization, management, and analytical skills.
- Strong oral and written presentation and communication.
- Must be detail oriented, able to prioritize tasks, delegate appropriately, and able to work under pressure with multiple deadlines and shifting timelines.