Manager, Package Engineering & Development
Packaging | New York, NY | Full Time
We’re FORMA. An incubator, accelerator, and curator of today’s beauty brands.
We celebrate, support, and seek those changing the world through creative expression. Each brand in our portfolio is thoughtfully selected, acquired, or created because of the products it offers, the stories it tells, and the beauty it spreads.
We’re a team made of: Equal parts thinkers and doers. Visionaries and operators. Strategists and creatives— we're united by a fierce entrepreneurial spirit. Our dive in, roll your sleeves up, get your hands' dirty approach to every project leads to extraordinary outcomes, and to some of the most popular beauty products on shelves today. We're a creative, professional, highly collaborative, seasoned, well-oiled team. We're in the business of beauty for a reason. There's nothing our team of 200+ people loves more than a good challenge, a great product, and the opportunity to make, celebrate, and spread beauty at scale.
Summary of Position: The Manager, Package Engineering & Development will identify, source, and develop new packaging solutions to include primary, secondary and tertiary systems and technologies that support the brand development and product strategy. This role will work work as a collaborative team member and technical expert for brand to determine usage, design, and compatibility requirements are met for a successful launch. It will also coordinate necessary qualification, testing and value engineering solutions contributing to consumer wins. Contribute during technical discovery phase of NPD projects in order to conclude assessments of the technical feasibility and impacts to related functions such as supply chain, finance, consumer usage and intellectual property.
- Drive packaging innovation into brand with new concepts, technology, and delivery systems that support Product Development and Brand initiatives.
- Provide comprehensive packaging feasibility for each project that includes component cost, tooling estimates, development lead time, and manufacturability.
- Suggest tooling strategy that supports program forecast and weekly rate of production requirements to meet launch timing.
- Manage tooling kick-off, qualification, and validation for all newly tooled project. Ensure fit, form, and function of each tooled package is met from drawing stage through tooling completion.
- Responsible for all technical drawing review for tooled and stock packaging, manage drawing change requests, and approval. Ensure all items meet approved drawing requirements during production.
- Work with Production and Quality to define package specifications, design criteria, and quality defect ranges to ensure all package quality requirements are met. Ensure optimal process flow with partners from manufacture of components through filling and assembly.
- Oversee the on-going quality and production of new and existing components, production scale up and continued operations by supporting the QA manager and factory to trouble shoot any on-going issues.
- Manage Cost Sheet for each project to ensure component and margin targets are met and properly communicated to Brand partners.
- Build value analysis into every project to ensure package is the most cost effective while achieving stated design criteria, function, and quality guidelines.
- Work with PD, regulatory, 3rd party technical services and suppliers properly source, vet and qualify all packing systems.
- Communicate any issues or risk in timely manner to senior management. Provide technical reports and risk analysis to recommended solutions or guidance to business owners.
- Manage Packaging vendor timelines and ensure all key dates are met during development. Collaborate with Project Management to ensure cross-functional team understands key deliverables.
- Support sourcing and production teams with design for manufacturability while achieving the brand positioning through the development stages. Support Onsite qualifications, line trial’s, compatibility, scale-up and Mass production as required.
- Manage all package testing required for each product type, package function, and qualification. Effectively communicate test status and outcome to brand team.
- Document and implement process procedure, technical specifications & reports, compatibility and compliance requirements.
- Work collaboratively with the entire FORMA Brands team, support initiatives and execute with diligence and excellence.
Key Working Relationships:
- Brand Development
- Project Management
- Sourcing and Production
- Product Development/Regulatory
- Distribution and Transportation
- Quality Assurance
- Third Party Supply Partners
Required Skills & Experience:
- BS in Packaging Science/BS in Mechanical Engineering or similar
- +5 years packaging experience with the Health and Beauty industry
- Strong Technical Packaging Developing Experience
- Strong organization and follow up skills
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and prioritize
- Comprehensive knowledge of materials used in the construction and manufacturing of primary, secondary and tertiary packaging. Including: Injection molding, extrusion molding, glass forming, metal forming, dispensing systems, and folding cartons.
- Knowledge of decoration technique for primary and secondary packaging.
- Full understanding of required test methods to validate package performance and quality.
- Strong problem-solving capabilities and a hands-on approach.
- Good project management skills
- Good interpersonal skills
Must be able to perform essential functions (with or without an accommodation) without posing a "direct threat" to the health and safety to self or others.
The Company reserves the right to alter, change, abolish and even combine jobs depending upon changing conditions.
No recruitment agencies, please.