Director, Product Development - Skincare
Product Development | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
We are open to this role being based in LA or NYC.
We’re FORMA. An incubator, accelerator, and curator of today’s beauty brands.
We celebrate, support, and seek those changing the world through creative expression. Each brand in our portfolio is thoughtfully selected, acquired, or created because of the products it offers, the stories it tells, and the beauty it spreads.
We’re a team made of: Equal parts thinkers and doers. Visionaries and operators. Strategists and creatives— we're united by a fierce entrepreneurial spirit. Our dive in, roll your sleeves up, get your hands' dirty approach to every project leads to extraordinary outcomes, and to some of the most popular beauty products on shelves today. We're a creative, professional, highly collaborative, seasoned, well-oiled team. We're in the business of beauty for a reason. There's nothing our team of 200+ people loves more than a good challenge, a great product, and the opportunity to make, celebrate, and spread beauty at scale.
The Director of Product Development - Skincare is responsible for all phases of new product development and processes from concept to counter. This position requires a solid understanding of product development fundamentals with an expertise in skincare along with the ability to apply strategic thinking throughout ideation and conceptualization. Manages timelines, internal expectations, cross-functional communication. This position reports directly to Senior Directors of PD and may interact with company President. Extensive travel domestically and internationally will be required.
- Manage assigned projects from concept to counter (create and manage Lab Briefs, clinical, safety and market testing etc.) – 20%
- Attend internal meetings, provide cross-functional direction, updates and communication, manage internal/external timelines – 20%
- Promptly evaluate incoming samples/products and provide timely feedback to external partners – 10%
- Travel to lab/facilities/tradeshows/off-site meetings – 50% (travel will fluctuate and will be based on business need but, at times could exceed 50%)
Key Working Relationships:
- Reports to Sr. Directors of Product Development
- May interact with company Founder/President
- Will work closely with entire PD Team
- Works cross-functionally with Brand (Sr. Managers), Creative (Designers), Copy and Sourcing Teams (Sr. Director/Director/SVP)
Required Skills & Experience:
- 7-10 years’ work experience and passion for skincare product development
- Must have applicable beauty experience and passion and excitement for the industry
- Great capacity to develop various products, from vision to detail
- Ability to be flexible and agile with internal teams on constant changes and condensed timelines
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills
- Must act as a proactive team player
- Experience managing direct reports
- Microsoft Office skills including Excel and PowerPoint, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop experience, a plus.
- Travel will be required - 20-50%
- Travel to lab (both domestically and internationally) (6 - 10 x annually)
- Travel to and over-see Marketing testing (2-4 x annually)
- Trade-shows (2-4 x annually)
- Off-site meetings (4-6 x annually)
- Company events (such as launch-parties, store openings, etc) (2-4 x annually)
Must be able to perform essential functions (with or without an accommodation) without posing a "direct threat" to the health and safety to self or others.
The Company reserves the right to alter, change, abolish and even combine jobs depending upon changing conditions.