Administration | Santa Rosa, CA | Full Time
About First 5
Funded through an increased tax on tobacco products, First 5 Sonoma County (F5SC) is part of a statewide voter initiative established under the California Children and Families Act of 1998 (Proposition 10). Our mission is to promote optimal child development through investments in health, early learning and family resiliency, benefiting children from prenatal to 5 years of age. First 5 Sonoma County envisions a future where all Sonoma County children thrive in healthy, supported environments. Catalysts for systemic change, we partner with school districts, community leaders, the private sector and social and healthcare agencies to develop a service system that meets community needs. By working through partners with a focus on prevention, we are able to maximize our collective impact and cost-effectiveness, and leverage community resources with federal, state and grant dollars.
Our office is located in Santa Rosa, CA.
The primary focus of the Office Manager is to support First 5’s activities by ensuring efficient, responsive, accurate and timely business processes. She/he is responsible for tracking the First 5 Commission’s funding allocations and expenditures on community investments, ensuring payment of invoices, preparing payroll and recording financial transactions. This position provides critical administrative support for public First 5 Commission meetings and ensures compliance with the Brown Act.
In addition, the Office Manager performs all regular daily office administration, such as answering the phone and email; responding to questions from the public; scheduling meetings; monitoring safety and orderliness of the workplace; ordering office supplies and other typical office administration tasks.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
Bookkeeping & Contracts Management
- Track Commission’s funding allocations
- Ensure contracting processes and procedures are followed and track contracts in database
- Review and process invoices, budget revision requests and other financial documents for accuracy
- Enter transactions into a fund accounting software program
- Interface with payroll provider
- Work with a CPA consultant to prepare and compile financial reports for the Executive Director and First 5 Sonoma County Commission
- Assist with annual external audit, respond to requests for specific information
- Process reimbursement requests and support complex budget management for the Quality Counts initiative
- Ensure timely reports/invoices to First 5 California
- Other bookkeeping duties as assigned
Office and Records Management
- Monitor, order and track office supplies and tools
- Monitor and keep office and reception area orderly and welcoming
- Respond to all inquiries via phone, email and First 5 general email
- Maintain orderly filing systems, both electronic and hard copy
- Prepare community communications
- Support events and trainings through room setup, refreshments, scheduling rooms, etc.
- Interface with SCOE administration, safety, facilities and IT staff
- Organize and maintain administrative policies, procedures, spreadsheets, databases, and forms
Support to Executive Director & First 5 Commission
- Assist Executive Director with specific requests for information and administrative support
- Schedule monthly 1:1 briefings for Executive Director with Commissioners
- Prepare monthly Commission meeting packet materials, transmit to Commissioners and post documents as per Brown Act requirements
- Ensure Board room is properly set up for Commission meetings
- Record accurate minutes at Commission and committee meetings
- Facilitate the assembly and distribution of New Parent Kits
- Facilitate the updating, printing and dissemination of Parent Resource Guides
- Update website as needed
Required Experience & Education
- Minimum five years administrative experience in a public or nonprofit agency, related to education, health, social services, or other relevant field
- Minimum two years of experience performing bookkeeping tasks
- Minimum two years of workplace experience interacting with a broad array of individuals across cultures, agencies, private citizens, public officials, professionals and volunteers
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Bilingual/fluent (written and spoken) in Spanish and English preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Uses leading practices in administrative support, office methods, developing and following efficient and streamlined practices and procedures
- Highly proficient with data entry and electronic filing and tracking of documents
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping principles and practices, particularly as relates to fund accounting and preparation of payroll.
- Highly proficient use of technology, including Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel
- Extreme attention to detail and accuracy, while also seeing the “big picture”
- Effectively communicates in both oral and written forms
- Works well in collaborative environments
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize own work to meet deadlines and accomplish assigned tasks within established timelines including maintaining accurate records and files
- Ability to maintain an orderly work environment
- Performs tasks in an efficient, prescribed and safe manner
- Flexible, self-reflective and receptive to change
- Sense of humor
- Regularly required to talk and hear, stand, walk, bend, kneel, and crouch
- Work is occasionally physical, requiring setting up for meetings, lifting or carrying cumbersome materials of up to 25 pounds, e.g., easels, flip charts, refreshments, brochures, etc.
- This job primary operates in a professional office environment
- Occasional travel within Sonoma County
- Possession of a valid California Driver’s License and appropriate insurance
Benefits & Perks
First 5 Sonoma County offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability. Other perks include a generous paid time off, holiday pay, family-friendly workplace policy, and flexible schedules.
Each qualified candidate is invited to submit a resume and cover letter explaining why they would be an excellent fit for the Office Manager position and First 5 Sonoma County.