Office Manager / Bookkeeper
Administration | Santa Rosa, CA | Full Time
The recruitment process and start date for this position will be contingent on the status of restrictions on business operations related to COVID-19.
About First 5
First 5 Sonoma County is an independent public agency, established under the California Children and Families Act of 1998 (Proposition 10) which funded a local First 5 Commission in every California county to build integrated and comprehensive systems of support for children, prenatal to five years. Through a voter-approved tobacco tax, First 5 promotes optimal child development through investments in health, early learning and family resiliency. Catalysts for systemic change, First 5 Sonoma County partners with school districts, the early care and education sector, the health care system, community leaders, the private sector and social service agencies. By working through partners with a focus on prevention, we are able to maximize our collective impact and cost-effectiveness, and leverage community resources with federal, state and grant dollars.
Our office is located in Santa Rosa, CA.
The primary focus of the Office Manager is to support First 5’s activities by ensuring efficient, responsive, accurate and timely business processes. She/he is responsible for tracking the First 5 Commission’s funding allocations and expenditures on community investments, ensuring payment of invoices, preparing payroll, responding to external audit requests and managing employee benefits enrollment. This position requires at least 2 years of demonstrated bookkeeping experience. In addition, the Office Manager is responsible for oversight and monitoring of safety policies and procedures and liaising with building facility and IT support.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Review and process contractor and grantee invoices and other financial documents for accuracy
- Enter transactions into a fund accounting software program (Blackbaud Financial Edge)
- Track expenditures of Commission’s funding allocations
- Process bi-weekly payroll
- Work with a CPA consultant to prepare and compile financial reports for the Executive Director and First 5 Sonoma County Commission
- Assist with annual external audit, respond to requests for specific information
- Process reimbursement requests and support complex budget management for the Quality Counts initiative
- Other bookkeeping duties as assigned
Office and Records Management
- Inventory, monitor, order and track office supplies, tools and equipment
- Interface with building administration, safety, facilities and IT staff
- Develop, revise, organize and maintain fiscal, personnel and other administrative policies, procedures, spreadsheets, databases, and forms
Required Experience & Education
- Minimum of five years administrative experience in a public or nonprofit agency, related to education, health, social services, or other relevant field
- Minimum two years of experience performing bookkeeping tasks
- Minimum two years of workplace experience interacting with a broad array of individuals across cultures, agencies, private citizens, public officials, professionals and volunteers
- Bachelor's degree preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Uses leading practices in administrative support, office methods, developing and following efficient and streamlined practices and procedures
- Highly proficient with data entry and electronic filing and tracking of documents
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping principles and practices, particularly as relates to fund accounting and preparation of payroll.
- Highly proficient use of technology, including Microsoft Office Suite, email and internet
- Extreme attention to detail and accuracy, while also seeing the “big picture”
- Effectively communicates in both oral and written forms
- Works well in collaborative environments
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize own work to meet deadlines and accomplish assigned tasks within established timelines including maintaining accurate records and files
- Ability to maintain an orderly work environment
- Performs tasks in an efficient, prescribed and safe manner
- Flexible, self-reflective and receptive to change
- Sense of humor
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge accounting software or similar
- Fluency in Spanish (reading/writing/speaking) preferred, but not required
Regularly required to talk and hear, stand, walk, bend, kneel, and crouch. Work is occasionally physical, requiring setting up for meetings, lifting or carrying cumbersome materials of up to 25 pounds, e.g., easels, flip charts, refreshments, brochures, etc.
This job primarily operates in a professional office environment with occasional travel within Sonoma County. Candidates must possess a valid California Driver’s License and appropriate insurance.
Rate of Pay
$27 - $35
Benefits & Perks
First 5 Sonoma County offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability. Other perks include generous paid time off, holiday pay, a 9/80 work schedule, and a family-friendly workplace policy.
Each qualified candidate is invited to submit a resume and cover letter describing their bookkeeping / accounting experience in the nonprofit or public agency sector.