Staff Computer Vision Research Scientist
Machine Learning | Sunnyvale, CA | Full Time
In March 2019, Figure Eight was acquired by Appen. Together, Appen and Figure Eight combine the best of human and machine intelligence to provide high-quality annotated training data that powers the world’s most innovative machine learning (ML) and business solutions. Appen is headquartered in Sydney, Australia and has subsidiaries in the United States, United Kingdom, Philippines, and China. Appen has more than 20 years of experience in collecting and processing a variety of data, including data types such as speech, text, and images, etc. Appen has a pool of more than 1 million prequalified crowd resources around the world able to provide data collection and processing services in more than 180 languages. Appen’s clients include global leaders in high-tech, automotive, e-commerce, etc. and governments to help them develop and improve products and technologies based on natural language understanding and machine learning. Appen is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange with stock code: APX
About the Role
Artificial Intelligence is transforming the world in almost every industry. Everyone knows only good training data can produce the best machine learning solutions. However, creating training data with high quality in a scalable way is very challenging, and very few companies can do it. The whole AI world is starving for great training data. Appen is the market lead in training data generation field for more than 22 years and generates all kinds of training data like content relevance, image & video, text & audio, as well as data capturing.
Appen Tech team is solving the AI data problem by combining the power of humans and technology. This world-class and exciting engineering position awaits a qualified candidate who will join Appen’s data science team.
We are seeking a staff research scientist with hands-on expertise in the computer vision area. You will build AI solutions to improve millions of annotators' efficiency at scale. You get the opportunity to work with our global tech team from Shanghai, Silicon Valley, and Sydney. It is a leading data company with a start-up culture. And we only want people who want to make a huge impact on the AI world instead of just a job!
- Build AI/ML solutions to improve worker annotation efficiency, which includes image object detection & annotation, video object tracking, pixel-level semantic segmentation, 3D Lidar object detection, data augmentation, and many other annotation tasks;
- Participate in cutting edge research in artificial intelligence and machine learning applications. Follow and drive AI data innovations through publishing papers, replicate the latest research, publishing blog posts as well as speak at conferences to build Appen’s thought leadership platform;
- Provide complete solutions to business problems using machine learning and computer vision related techniques.
- Serve as subject matter expert and drive thought leadership in the areas of deep learning, machine learning, and computer vision.
- Mentoring and coaching junior staff, driving internal operational excellence, and developing the career for junior data scientists.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or equivalent is required for this position.
- 10+ years of industrial experience in computer vision, image and video processing areas
- Solid understanding of deep learning tech
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written in English
- Hands-on experience in developing backend services. Familiar with Java, Python, or other programming languages.
- Have good track records of architecting and developing computer vision solutions in large scale industry setup.
- Have extensive industry experience in computer vision domain with the ability to validate ideas before implementation.