Senior Java Software Engineer (Sacramento, CA)
Engineering | Sacramento, CA | Full Time
Figure Eight is the essential human-in-the-loop AI platform. With 10 years’ experience, we make the world’s most widely used software for Artificial Intelligence. We have created 100s of millions of training data items from billions of human judgments, working closely with our customers to develop Machine Learning and Data Annotation strategies.
We have San Francisco’s top leadership team in Machine Learning. Our VP of Product ran 1/3 of IBM Watson’s products before she joined us. Our VP of Machine Learning was Chief Scientist at Atlassian (JIRA, Confluence, etc) before she joined us. Our CTO is a former disaster response leader and Stanford PhD. Across the company, we celebrate our diversity and enjoy collaborating within the company and across our customers.
At Figure Eight (formerly CrowdFlower) you will work on a wide range of applications. If you speak to your phone, personalize your music, shop online, or if your car parks itself, then you have likely used machine learning powered by Figure Eight. We also run the world’s largest marketplace for human annotation, with more than 100,000 people regularly working on our platform to provide human training & evaluation for machine learning.
Our technology stack is increasingly using kubernetes and related container technologies, as we provide a seamless experience to customers using one of the cloud providers or running on-premise. We are leading the way in developing ways to serve and integrate machine learning systems with human interaction at scale.
About the Role
You will be working on the most important problems in technology today: how can humans and AI collaborate to solve important and sometimes complicated tasks? Our users range from engineers and data scientists to subject matter experts creating training data for machine learning. In all cases, we are building tools which increasingly incorporate machine learning.
This role will be based out of Sacramento, CA.
- Work on new features for combining human and machine intelligence
- Migrate legacy systems (primarily in ruby) to JAVA, Spring Framework stack
- Follow and promote best practices for writing maintainable, well-tested code
- Participate in selecting tools and setting development standards at Figure Eight
- Building and maintaining excellent working relationships with peers across organizations (QA, Development, DevOps, PO, UX, etc)
- Mentor other engineers in Java stack on a daily basis
- Work with offshore team in Mexico
- 5+ years of development experience as a seasoned JAVA Engineer
- 5+ years of software development experience in cloud based, multi-tiered, enterprise application systems in Java technologies. Experience working with Ruby is a huge plus.
- Solid understanding of Core JAVA, J2EE, Spring Boot 2.0, hibernate, Liquibase, Web-oriented Architecture (WOA), Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), SQL
- Deep knowledge in all aspects of Spring Framework
- Experience with AWS, Git, Docker, Gradle, Jenkins, Jira, and Confluence
- Prior experience with developing microservices and successfully building products using SOA
- Good experience with Java Unit Testing Frameworks and Tools such as JUnit, TestNG, Mockito, etc
- Believe in team success over individual
- Able to work in a diverse team environment