Quality Assurance Manager
Engineering | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Figure Eight is the essential Human-in-the-Loop Machine Learning platform for data science and machine learning teams. The Figure Eight platform transforms unstructured text, image, audio, and video data into customized high-quality training data to make AI work in the real world. Figure Eight's technology and expertise supports a wide range of use cases including autonomous vehicles, intelligent personal assistants, medical image labeling, consumer product identification, content categorization, customer support ticket classification, social data insight, CRM data enrichment, product categorization, and search relevance.
Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by Canvas Ventures, Trinity Ventures, Industry Ventures, Microsoft Ventures, and Salesforce Ventures, Figure Eight serves Fortune 500 and fast-growing data-driven organizations across a wide variety of industries. For more information, visit www.figure-eight.com.
About the Role
The ideal candidate has a strong background in stress & performance testing, service/integration level testing and optimization. Some organizations refer to this a Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET). You will establish a test infrastructure that promotes confidence and quality, and includes working with the development teams to build code and provide insight about performance, scalability, customer usage, and failure analysis, generating test data, and simulations. You will develop a growing automated QA process that is involved in every layer of the stack, from API to database to the UI, leveraging both your technical & leadership skills to full effect. You will need to develop a thorough understanding of our platform, learn our internal and external API’s and work together with engineers in both the design & development/refactoring stages to ensure systems are built with testability in mind. This position will report to the VP, Systems Operations.
- Apply structured QA methodology and create test strategies to support specific software testing objectives.
- Design & develop a robust automation framework built upon proven open source or commercial tools.
- Define key performance & load metrics and collaborate with the team to ensure they are being met.
- Continuously improve the automation, speed, quality, and ease of testing
- Partner with architects, developers, systems reliability engineers and DBAs to collaboratively tune systems.
- Play a key role in the architecture, product acceptance, and deployment processes.
- Foster a systematic approach to solving performance issues across all tiers of the application.
- Contribute to and promote good software engineering practices across the team.
- Provide leadership to the team in mastering technologies, identifying and implementing worthwhile new technologies and improving our process.
Skills & Experience
- 5+ years experience in building test automation frameworks, leading teams & projects.
- Solid people skills and an assertive disposition.
- Experience working in a Linux environment and with AWS Cloud Computing.
- Experience using load testing tools such as JMeter, Grinder, Gatling, SOASTA, etc.
- Experience with functional testing frameworks such as RSpec, JUnit, TestNG.
- Expert level knowledge of relational database technologies, including SQL.
- Coding experience with Ruby and knowledge of Ruby & Rails application development is a significant asset.
- Experience working with service oriented architectures.
- An ability to work in a scrum-based agile and nimble environment.