Machine Learning Scientist, Natural Language Processing
Machine Learning | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Figure Eight is the essential Human-in-the-Loop AI platform for data science and machine learning teams. The Figure Eight software platform trains, tests, and tunes machine learning models to make AI work in the real world. Figure Eight's technology and expertise supports a wide range of use cases including autonomous vehicles, intelligent personal assistants, medical image labeling, consumer product identification, content categorization, customer support ticket classification, social data insight, CRM data enrichment, product categorization, and search relevance.
Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by Canvas Ventures, Trinity Ventures, Industry Ventures, Microsoft Ventures, and Salesforce Ventures, Figure Eight serves Fortune 500 and fast-growing data-driven organizations across a wide variety of industries. For more information, visit www.figure-eight.com.
Figure Eight (formally CrowdFlower) has recently undergone a major change. We're really excited about our new name as we help make AI work in the real world. We have several blog posts detailing this change (1, 2, and 3).
About the Role:
This role is for someone who loves creatively solving problems with AI, and would be especially interesting for a person who would like to broaden their experience of where AI is applied. For example, one day, you will be helping a large Social Media company strategize about how to build Machine Learning models from their data, and the next day you might be working with a leading University's research team to label data for information extraction.
This is a high-profile role, working with many of the world’s leading Machine Learning and Data Science teams among our customers. With our customers, and with our internal teams, you will have the opportunity to publish papers and articles on Machine Learning and Human-Computer Interaction, and to present the results at academic and industry conferences.
This is an important role within a new Machine Learning-focused team that values curiosity, diversity and positive social impact, working with NLP experts that include our Lead Scientist for Natural Language Processing, Joan Xiao (UPenn PhD), and our CTO, Robert Munro (Stanford PhD). You will be working closely with experts in Computer Vision, Human Computer Interaction, and Data Engineering, with the opportunity to expand your knowledge in these areas, and to gain experience working within a successful and growing startup.
- Pioneer new strategies for Natural Language Processing and related language tasks within the Figure Eight Machine Learning team
- Consult with the Data Science and Machine Learning teams among Figure Eight's customers to develop strategies for Machine Learning and Annotation with language data
- Conduct experiments with internal data and open datasets for customers and new products
- Publish papers, articles and blog posts that speak about the use of the Figure Eight platform
- Work with the Product team to develop our Language Annotation software and open data sets
Positive Background Experience:
- A recent PhD focused on Natural Language Processing, or a Masters and 2+ years’ experience
- Specific experience in Machine Learning and inferencing techniques including Deep Learning, Logistic Regression, and related technologies
- Good knowledge of Python, R or related scripting languages
- Familiarity with recent Machine Learning literature
Bonus points if you have
- A deep background in Natural Language Processing and Deep Learning
- Existing participation in Data Science and Machine Learning industry groups, meetups, and affiliations
- Experience with cloud-based software providers like AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, IBM and Salesforce
- Specific experience with cloud-based or open source Machine Learning systems, like Amazon AI, Azure Machine Learning, Caffe, Google Cloud ML, IBM Watson, Keras, Salesforce Einstein, Scikit-Learn, Theano, TensorFlow, etc.
- Publications and teaching experience
- Experience with Natural Language Understanding (word representation, relation extraction, natural language inference, semantic parsing, etc.)
- Experience with intelligent personal assistants or conversational chatbots
How to Apply:
- Click Apply Now. Please add a short (a half page is fine) cover letter that shares what excites you about solving real-world problems for Machine Learning and Data Science teams, or anything else that excites about this potential role.
- Competitive salary based on skills and experience
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k
- Flexible vacation
- Full kitchen and catered lunches
- Team events
- Amazing office location in San Francisco!