Senior Database Administrator
Development | Phoenix, AZ | Full Time
Senior Database Administrator
Location: Phoenix, AZ 85027
About FATHOM (Global Water Management, LLC)
FATHOM is a Phoenix, AZ company providing a cloud-based, geospatial platform that encompasses the needs of a water utility from an end-to-end, completely organic perspective. The FATHOM platform is deployable at any scale in a matter of months and can be implemented in several different configurations, from a software-as-a-service (“SaaS”) offering to a fully outsourced billing and customer care service.
Originally part of Global Water Resources, Inc. (GWRI), a leading water resource management company that owns and operates water, wastewater, and recycled water utilities, FATHOM was developed in-house to provide the features and functionality required to run the GWRI utilities efficiently and effectively. Now as its own independent software company, FATHOM continues to provide Customer Information System (CIS), Asset Management System (AMS), and Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) services for utilities, including GWRI, Nationwide.
With in-depth utility knowledge and experience in our DNA, FATHOM has created and is riding the wave to smarter, more efficient water utilities. The water utility industry needs increasing standardization and economies of scale to become more efficient. The FATHOM vision is to provide that to utilities through our platform of data elements and to facilitate a place for the latest technology to flourish and allows utilities of all sizes to benefit from them. By bringing standardization to a fragmented market the industry collectively becomes more efficient and sustainable and takes advantage of the opportunities that pristine data provides. We believe there is strength in numbers.
The Senior Database Administrator is a member of the IT Operations team and will be responsible for the operational database support of Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Postgres and NoSQL platforms that support internal and client facing FATHOM applications. The ideal candidate will have significant experience across diverse database platforms to provide an immediate value add to the IT Operations team. We are building the future of water and need Administrators who share that vision and believe in thinking out of the box. We need hard working, bright people with an aptitude for technology to join us and help create the future of water management.
- Work with all internal FATHOM teams to understand requirements; provide expertise and guidance related to database administration, process improvements and alternative data stores for current and future technology.
- Analyze existing data warehouse and reporting functions; recommend and implement improvements to increase accuracy, efficiency and ongoing stability.
- Review of service related reports (e.g.: database backups, maintenance, monitoring) daily to ensure service related issues are identified and resolved within established SLAs.
- Work with SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) to develop reporting functionality across numerous products.
- Validate and document function and accuracy of existing SSRS reports
- Work with all internal FATHOM teams to develop and present unique solutions using a variety of tools including open source technologies while maintaining current architecture.
- Review existing SSIS Packages; document and validate function; upgrade where required to increase efficiency and maintainability.
- Coding SQL from scratch when necessary to generate reports.
- Create ETL processes for scrubbing data; normalize data for integration into large data warehouse from disparate sources.
- Fulfill development/research requests and resolve incidents within SLAs by assisting with production issues and implementations.
- Exhibit an uncommon attitude of customer service toward your internal users and take pride in consistently delivering an unparalleled level of quality.
- As a team, continue to challenge the status quo by seeking opportunities to increase function, efficiency, and maintainability of product suite.
- Continue to be mindful and vigilant of changes that could potentially impact database server performance; continue to test potentials changes in advance and validate ongoing performance.
- Extensive database administration, performance tuning, capacity planning, and backup across multiple platforms
- Experience with a variety of RDBMS; MSSSQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL; and alternative data stores
- Experience with NoSQL technologies
- Experience with Windows and a variety of Unix / Linux environments with a propensity to learn new software, libraries, and tools
- Experience in development frameworks, including .NET for legacy application support and conversion
- Experience with configuration management tools is a plus (i.e. Ansible, SaltStack, Chef, Puppet)
- Knowledgeable in Amazon Web Services technologies including RDS, Redshift, DynamoDB, and Aurora
- Experience with highly distributed, self-healing or trusted systems
- Other tools and languages that might be helpful: Python, Powershell
- Experience with SQL Server virtualization and performance tuning
Education and Experience:
- Has extensive experience with Microsoft SQL Server; replication topologies
- Extensive experience with SQL Server tools and technologies to include SSIS, SSAS and SSRS
- Has extensive experience with designing indexes for existing applications choosing when to add or remove indexes
- Expert level knowledge of SQL, TSQL, PL/SQL
- Demonstrated experience with Data Modeling
- Experience in performance tuning, query optimization, using Performance Monitor, SQL Profiler and other related monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Experience developing software using Agile methodologies, build-to-test, and continuous integration methodologies
- Demonstrated experience in the development and support of large-scale replication, backup, and failover of database backed business applications.
- Familiarity with OLAP, data mining, ODBC, JDBC
- Comfortable playing the role of business analyst when necessary and capable of developing requirements from clients, or directly from an existing code base
- Proven design and development experience working with databases, business and UI tiers, reporting, testing, deployment, training, and maintenance for desktop, mobile and web applications
- Strong communications skills contributing to and resulting in great work environment
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field preferred
About the Team
The core FATHOM development team is comprised of very senior (25 to close to 40 years of industry experience) software engineers who have done pioneering work in high performance computing, large-scale distributed systems, mission critical systems and trusted systems, as well as operating systems and database systems internals – people who have spent decades finding novel ways to tame Amdahl’s law, overcome I/O bottlenecks and design systems that manifest complex and emergent behavior from very small and carefully curated collections of mechanisms. If you’d like to be part of a proven, highly innovative and exceptionally productive team, many members of which literally wrote the book, we might be the opportunity you’re seeking.
Equal Opportunity Employer