Finance | Austin, TX | Full Time
ABOUT THE ROLE
Eterneva is completely changing how we culturally view death and honor our loved ones. We’re here to bring a totally different tone to the end of life space, and ensure remarkable people aren’t forgotten! We are category creators building the first globally recognizable brand in our space, and plan to be the first modern unicorn that disrupts the antiquated deathcare industry.
As we close out our Series A, the VP of Finance will be an x-factor addition to the Eterneva executive team, helping build and scale the first modern unicorn in the space. You aspire to be a CFO one day, so this role is giving you the opportunity to cut your teeth and get a broader range of experience than you’ve ever had in any single finance role.
You are a strategic and operational finance mind who thinks about the best use of capital to fund and execute key initiatives while identifying opportunities to create operational leverage as the company scales. You're a terrific problem solver and are a galvanizing force and business partner to the CEO & President in identifying key performance drivers and leading the organization to unlock results.
You've been a part of helping grow & scale early-stage VC backed startups, and you love the build process. You have transactional experience (venture capital, M&A) and know the debt financing landscape well. You think like a business person and have a deep understanding of optimizing sales and marketing funnels.
You're mission-driven and want to work on something meaningful that positively impacts the lives of others. You will find so much fulfillment in the work!
1. Take our required hiring survey: https://go.apply.ci/s/SuMaAdnw73
2. Show us you're serious in your cover letter! Let us know what about this role excites you, and why you're uniquely qualified to do great work!
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
Report to President and serve as key member of the Eterneva executive team
You will be responsible for finance, accounting, analytics, legal, and HR departments
- Partner with the president and CEO in developing a business case and model for areas of growth, added product lines, or M&A and acquisition targets
Build out finance and accounting departments and develop infrastructure & processes to scale for growth
- Secure low cost equipment financing for in-house manufacturing and partner with the CEO on all future fundraising efforts
Create a dynamic model for the leadership team that simplifies the key inputs/activities that drives the desired outputs/outcomes
Establish business reviews to help drive organizational execution and maintain focus around the levers that drive results
- Own investor reporting and board deck materials
- Develop the long-term capitalization strategy around the company's three year and five year plans with emphasis on the best mix of capital (debt & equity)
- Build out FP&A and analytics functions and create the infrastructure for world-class data-reporting, demand prediction, marketing mix optimization, customer segmentation and more
- Partner with the sales & marketing teams on funnel optimization and identify areas to deploy funds to accelerate growth or test new initiatives
- Empower all departments with support in modeling, forecasting, pricing, gross margin analysis, and ROI analysis of different investments, tests, and campaigns
- Partner with Operations in implementing a scalable ERP solution
- Drive annual budgeting, financial planning, & forecasting process
- Oversee cashflow management, payroll, A/R, A/P, and insurance policies
- Review and redline legal contracts; mitigate risk exposure areas for the company
- Identify tax optimization opportunities and oversee tax filing and compliance with complex multi-tax jurisdictions
Have helped scale a fast-grow startup; experience in building, capitalizing, and exiting investor-backed companies
Data-driven and operational business partner with a track record of accelerating growth, expanding unit economics, optimizing operations, and delivering on ambitious targets
Excellent at creative deals structures and thinking strategically about the best use of capital
Constantly on the hunt for arbitrage opportunities and areas to create operational leverage
Extremely strong with financial modeling
Get energy from a fast-paced environment and love working with other ambitious people
- Experience with supply chain / manufacturing finance w/ inventory a must
- Hands-on, player-coach mentality; a love of getting into the weeds from the get go, with the ability to grow and scale a team and mentor others
- Passionate about our mission to change how people experience grief and celebrate end of life
- Prefer Austin based but not required; will absolutely consider remote for top talent
Deep consumer product, ecommerce, or consumer technology background
Management consulting, private equity, or investment banking experience
- Experience at a big 4 accounting firm a plus
Have worked closely with sales & marketing teams and have a deep understanding of optimizing sales funnels
Familiar with B2B2C sales models
- Experience designing an in-house consumer financing program and/or insurance program
- Strong IT knowledge
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive salary + variable performance
100% employer paid medical benefits
Unlimited vacation policy
Eterneva is a celebration of life company that honors the lives of remarkable people and pets by turning their ashes into real diamonds. The diamond is an extraordinarily special way to memorialize a loved one, because it’s bright, it’s personal and it’s forever.
The eight month journey to create the diamond is just as special. We send monthly pictures, videos, updates so as to give our customers something to look forward to during a tough time, and as a result, many say we change their relationship to grief.
It’s extraordinarily meaningful work, and we make raving fans out of every customer we serve with an NPS of 87. They’ll fly across the country to visit us, and send us handwritten letters to thank us for some much-needed brightness, and for impacting their life.
It’s our belief that remarkable people shouldn’t be forgotten, and it’s about time we brought meaning and celebration to end of life, instead of putting it in a box.
We pride ourselves in being forward-thinking in our industry -- bringing obituaries into the 21st century with our personalized, digital dedication pages, driving massive social media virality and end of life conversations and heart-warming storytelling (we've had 10 videos go viral on TikTok getting between 500k and 7M organic views in the last 4 months!) partnering with Baylor University to develop groundbreaking new grief research that hasn't been modernized in over 50 years.
We’re garnering a ton of attention for our fresh approach - we recently made Inc’s 30 Under 30 list and the cover of Inc Magazine. We’ve been featured on Yahoo Finance, Viceland’s 2 Chainz Most Expensivist, On the Money, and are doing diamonds for multiple celebrities. Since founding 2016, we’ve raised a total of $6.7 million from an impressive array of angel and VC investors, and are in the process of closing a $10M Series A round led by a top-tier institution.
Eterneva is located in South Austin near the intersection of i35 and 290.
- Make it Count - On & Off the Field we show up every day with energy, enthusiasm, eager to do our best work. We also act with intention and invest in ourselves and our close relationships outside of work.
- How Can I Be Better? we have growth mindsets, high standards, and are always wanting to improve. We enjoy learning new things and practice extreme ownership over our mistakes.
- Do As You Say we follow through on what we commit to and are dependable and accountable.
- Get Their Back we develop strong relationships across the team, we support each other, and we know if the team fails, everyone fails.
- Be the Change we're passionate about our mission and don't accept the status quo. We're a source of brightness to our customers and always thinking about how we could add more value and create raving fans.