Urban Environmental Planner / Project Manager
Planning | Mount Olive, NJ | Full Time
Mid to Senior Level Urban/Environmental Planner / Project Manager
Office Location: Mount Olive, NJ
Equity Environmental Engineering, LLC is a growing professional firm providing services in engineering, city planning, environmental remediation, real estate development, and environmental consulting. We are recognized in multiple industries for our professional expertise, and commitment to client service.
We have a 15-year history supporting our clients in their city, state, and federal environment review, investigation, and remediation needs. Our engineers, scientists, and planners offer innovative and economical services and maintain state-of-the-art technology to meet our clients’ needs.
We are looking for a Mid-level Urban/Environmental Planner / Project Manager to bring knowledge, expertise, and multi-disciplinary capabilities to join us in serving our private and public clients. This professional will be part of our growing practice that seeks to broaden both its scope of services and geographic range alongside our engineering services practice.
- This position is expected to be able to effectively complete assignments, train and oversee junior staff in the execution of environmental studies, planning studies, and related analysis, manage project deliverables and ensure a high level of quality control in document, plan preparation and execution.
- Manage multiple complex planning and development projects while concurrently adhering to established budgets and timeframes. Define project scope, budget and schedule, set performance objectives, delegate assignments, monitor progress, review the work on a daily basis, anticipate and resolve issues and conflicts, identify opportunities, report findings and recommendations and document all progress and processes.
- Provide technical support, information, and guidance to property owners, developers, attorneys and other professionals to discuss and resolve planning and development issues.
- Conduct highly technical research and analysis, evaluate findings, identify potential threats, determine various options, and develop recommendations on operational business plans.
- Present statistical and technical data and compile reports of the progress of programs and projects.
- Interpret and communicate planning programs to interested groups and to the general public.
- Develop urban design and policy recommendations; evaluating applicable codes, polices, law; prepare and make oral presentations to decision makers and clients; and facilitate public outreach/community meetings.
- Prepare specific site plans, master plans, design guidelines, zoning ordinances, strategic plans, feasibility studies, sustainability projections and other documents for public and private sector clients.
- Formulate land use plans, development policies, and special planning studies, develop policy, plan alternatives, evaluate alternatives, coordinate with related agencies, departments and stakeholders; and implement policies, plans and programs, including development controls.
- Plan, schedule, oversee, and evaluate the work of junior staff. Further develop staff members by providing constructive feedback to ensure continuous professional growth.
- Identify and pursue new planning/policy business opportunities, identify resources, and provide direction on project management.
- This position is located primarily in the corporate office, but includes day travel to proposed and actual project sites, to client’s offices, government agency meetings, , and other assignments outside of the office, as necessary.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree, but a Masters in urban planning, urban design/architecture, a focus in environmental planning or geographic information systems is a plus.
- 5-6 years of professional planning experience involving federal, state, and NYC environmental review, general plan, zoning and development services. Knowledge of functions, principles, methods, and techniques of public sector planning including land use planning, urban design, planning and zoning law, the municipal agencies and legal procedures involved in urban planning and environmental impact analysis.
- Proficiency in GIS, Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCAD/Civil 3D and Microsoft Office applications, including Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience with community-based planning and neighborhood development issues and concerns and public participation techniques.
- Experience with traffic and transportation planning issues such as evaluating travel origin and destination and assignment of traffic based on census data. Bike-ped and transit planning also a plus.
- Experience in data gathering and research methods, conducting studies, surveys, conducting meetings with community and interagency partners, data review, analysis techniques, reporting and presentations related to community development projects.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with internal employees, contractors, development team members, developers and property owners, community and neighborhood groups, private citizens, public officials, and other public agency staff.
- Experience reading and interpreting geographical information from aerial photographs, site plans, plat maps, property records, and legal descriptions.
- Proven record developing and pursuing business opportunities, expanding client base, and marketing the firm’s services.
- Familiarity with environmental and zoning statutes:
- City (CEQR).
- State (SEQR).
- Federal (NEPA) environmental review.
- NYC Zoning Resolution and land use approval processes.
- Strong consideration will be give to applicants who have NJ municipal land use law experience preparing applications and appearing before planning boards and zoning boards of adjustment in the State of New Jersey.
To be determined based upon experience and capacity to take leadership in the firm.
Health and Dental Benefits
Retirement Plan (Simple IRA with company match)
Paid Time Off and Holidays