Cross-Organizational | Portland, ME | Full Time
Help us create a world where all people are healthy and thriving, with equal access to safe food and water, and products that are toxic-free and climate-friendly. That’s the mission you’ll help advance when you join the team at Environmental Health Strategy Center, a nationally recognized nonprofit public health organization.
The Executive Assistant will provide high-level administrative support that helps the Executive Director cultivate important relationships, manage a complex workload, and schedule priority activities. The person in this position will function as a partner to and ambassador from the Executive Director in leading a team of ten staff to advance our mission at the state and national level.
- Organizing – Help maintain and cultivate relationships with many important people, including donors, funders, directors, allies, policymakers, and other key stakeholders, through systematic organization and helping to ensure regular meaningful contacts.
- Communications – Aid in maintaining and expanding private and public communications from the Executive Director that demonstrate thought leadership, build relationships, and advance achievement of our strategic goals and priorities;
- Workload Management – Assist in timely sorting of all incoming demands for immediate action, delegation, scheduled work, future reference, or rejection, with regular review and ongoing maintenance of a good workload management system;
- Scheduling – Maintain the Executive Director’s calendar, timely responding to important requests and invitations, scheduling priority meetings, while balancing the urgent with ample time for other important, non-urgent work activities;
- Administration – Provide administrative support to help process time sheets, expense reimbursements, travel arrangements and to timely meet other logistical and administrative needs.
- Must be highly organized, with excellent initiative, persistence, and follow-through
- Three years of prior work experience that’s demonstrably relevant to the position
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including clarity and conciseness
- Exceptional people skills that temper direct firmness with real compassion
- High administrative competency with record keeping, reporting, logistics, etc.
- Intermediate-level capability with a full suite of office software
- Cultural competency in effectively engaging with very diverse constituencies
Strong preference will be given to candidates who also demonstrate:
- Previous experience as an executive assistant to a CEO or senior executive
- Prior use of the GTD method or comparable workload management systems
- An understanding of fundraising practices and principles
- Experience in working with high net worth individuals
- Prior experience with organizing people to take individual and collective action
- Familiarity with persuasive communications and issue advocacy
- Proven commitment to progressive values and social change
Environmental Health Strategy Center is a dynamic, creative, growing 17-year-old nonprofit organization that advances state-based policy solutions and leads national issue campaigns in collaboration with groups across the country. In the workplace and in the world, we are committed to diversity, inclusion, and environmental justice.
Location: You will join us at our offices in Portland, Maine, a Northeast gem where food is fab, local music is great, craft beer is flowing, and the city is growing! In a state known as “vacationland,” you’ll find hiking, biking, skiing, boating, and beautiful beaches are all close by.
Salary: Starting salary range of $48,000 to $58,000, depending on experience over minimum requirements.
Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401K; four weeks paid vacation, a generous number of paid holidays, as well as sick leave; flexible schedule.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter highlighting your fit to this position, your current resume, and a writing sample that reflects the nature of writing this position demands on this portal.
Application Deadline: Application review will take place as applications are received and until a hire is made. If the posting is still on the application portal above, we are still accepting applications.
The Environmental Health Strategy Center is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, disability, age, or national origin.