BOH/FOH | Napa, CA | Part Time
At Empress M we strive to serve authentic Chinese food and drinks while sharing stories of Chinese history, philosophy, culture and current development. Empress M prides itself with a diverse and unique working environment where we truly set ourselves apart. Empress M is bringing classic, traditional Chinese food to the valley with an emphasis on upscale presentation and stunning customer service.
Expediter Job Responsibilities:
A restaurant expo, or expeditor, serves as an intermediate between customers and the kitchen staff. The expo position is a significant role, given that customer satisfaction depends heavily on how good he/she is at his job. This is a position that requires the individual to be both an independent decision-maker and a team player simultaneously. There are several responsibilities to fulfill as a restaurant expo.
The primary responsibility of a restaurant expeditor is to ensure that orders get to their table as quickly and accurately as possible.
- Passes customer orders to the kitchen staff; once they're ready, they inspects the dish to confirm that it complies with restaurant food quality standards.
- The dish is presented as represented by the menu
- The rim has been wiped clean and the vessel on which the dish is served is clean and presentable.
- The dish is parallel with the ticket ie: not nuts, add chicken ect.
- The expeditor then notifies waiters or waitresses to serve the orders to the appropriate tables. It is his/her responsibility to ensure a fast and smooth flow of work between the servers and the kitchen, and that tickets are served in an orderly and timely manner.
- The expo is the last set of eyes on the ticket and lots of responsibility falls into this position to ensure excellent guest dining experience.
- A food expeditor position requires a combination of skills
- such as strong communication abilities
- The ability to get along with a variety of personality types since the job requires working with restaurant employees and customers.
- Leadership and a willingness to help.
- Experience in a fast-paced restaurant environment is also essential.
Expeditors work in high-stress environments where they must maintain a fast pace on a daily basis. Mistakes can cost in customer dissatisfaction, which sometimes can cost the job. Expeditors must handle a variety of behaviors — including upset customers, difficult restaurant staff— to ensure smooth process flow and a pleasant environment for the customer. This job can have physical effects, as well, as expediters may be required to stand for long hours and are exposed to hot kitchen environments on a daily basis.
- Planning and multi-tasking
- Self-motivated with a high energy level
- Detail oriented, attention to correct sanitation practices
- Verbal and written communication
- Team work
- Time and Self management
- Ability to clearly read tickets and food orders
- Availability to work in shifts, during weekends and evenings
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED
- Hospitality-related kitchen experience preferred
- Current food handler’s card and other certification as required by federal/state/local law
Operates in a standard kitchen environment
- Moderate to loud noise
- Frequent exposure to variable temperature changes and steam
- Ability to Bend, Squat, Run, walk & Physically React in a Prompt Manner
- Ability to Lift 30 lbs.
- Ability to Stand for Very Long Periods of Time
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate between FOH and BOH staff
Empress M provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Empress M complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Empress M expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Empress M’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.