Technical Lead (Front-end Focus)
Technology | Santa Monica, CA | Full Time
At Edmunds we’re driven to make car buying easier. Ever since we began publishing printed car guides in the 60’s, the company has been in the business of trust, innovating ways to empower and support car shoppers. When Edmunds launched the car industry’s first Internet site in 1994, we established a leadership position online and have never looked back. Now, as one of the most trusted review sites on the Internet, millions of visitors use our research, shopping and buying tools every month to make an easy and informed decision on their next car. For consumers, we bring peace of mind. For dealers, we make tools to help them solve their problems and sell more cars. How do we do it, you ask? The key ingredients are our enthusiastic employees, progressive company culture and cutting-edge technology. Want to join the team? Read on to find out how!
What You’re Applying For:
Edmunds is looking for a front-end technical lead to transform our shopper services. You will be responsible for building delightful and engaging online car shopping experiences for consumers. Buying a car can be a daunting process that consumers begrudgingly go through every five to six years. You will work with a cross-functional team to create products that take the stress out of car buying.
What You’ll Do:
- Streamline the way customers reach out to dealers through our platform by optimising the performance of those pages. In some cases, this will involve completely rewriting pages using our React-based isomorphic application framework.
- Help customers complete more of their transaction online by building deeper integrations with participating dealers.
- Assure shoppers that they are getting a good price by revamping the way we present pricing on our website.
- Coordinate the development of front-end features from technical design to production deployment.
- Candidate must be unwilling to compromise quality for speed and must be able to effectively defend this position.
- Candidate must be comfortable serving as the most-senior front-end developer on a team.
- Candidate must work effectively with product managers, designers, backend engineers, and technical leads from other teams.
What You Need:
- Demonstrated ability to mentor others in front-end development.
- Demonstrated ability to see large-scale projects to completion.
- Demonstrated ability to convert product requirements into technical specifications and effectively communicate them to both onsite and offshore engineers.
- Experience building search engine optimized web pages using JS, CSS, HTML
- Comfortable working across our entire product suite and able to quickly switch contexts
- Expert knowledge of testing strategies, cross-browser compatibility, and client-side performance optimisation
- Experience with Node.js
- Experience with React and isomorphic JS experience is a plus
Working @ Edmunds.com:
Employees think it’s a pretty great place to work and some pretty impressive publications think it is too: we have been recognized as one of the best places to work by the Fortune Magazine and Great Places to Work, LA Business Journal (for the last 6 years!), Computerworld, and Built in LA. We've also been identified as one of the best workplaces specifically in Technology and also for Diversity and Asian Americans. In fact, our CEO, Avi Steinlauf, was rated as one of Glassdoor's Highest Rated CEOs! If you’re interested in learning more and joining our mission, we’d love to hear from you!
Edmunds will consider for employment qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable laws.