Content | Hybrid-Santa Monica | Full Time
Edmunds offers flexibility to work remote, from our Edquarters, or a combination of both
At Edmunds we’re driven to make car buying easier. Ever since we began publishing printed car guides in the 60’s, the company has been in the business of trust, innovating ways to empower and support car shoppers. When Edmunds launched the car industry’s first Internet site in 1994, we established a leadership position online and have never looked back. Now, as one of the most trusted review sites on the Internet, millions of visitors use our research, shopping and buying tools every month to make an easy and informed decision on their next car. For consumers, we bring peace of mind. For dealers, we make tools to help them solve their problems and sell more cars. How do we do it, you ask? The key ingredients are our enthusiastic employees, progressive company culture and cutting-edge technology. Want to join the team? Read on to find out how!
What You’re Applying For:
The Shooter Editor will play a crucial role in the growth of Edmunds’ newly formed Content Special Projects team. You will work alongside the Supervising Producer, Post Production, editors, shooting directors, producers and the rest of the 40-strong Edmunds’ editorial team to create industry-leading content for Edmunds and our partner CarMax. You will also ensure that content is compelling and relevant to a target audience, as well as aligned with key metrics across YouTube channels and websites.
The ideal candidate should be extremely versatile, and should be experienced with a variety of different production formats. Video editing responsibilities will include taking the raw footage captured in the field and creating multiple pieces of video content that will live on YouTube, and various social media channels on a regular basis. Duties will include, footage ingestion, project prep, asset management, graphic creation and the uploading and hand-off of final assets. This role will work both independently and collaboratively with various members of the Edmunds content team. Having a solid knowledge of the automotive industry and what car shoppers care for and value most is a plus.
What You’ll Do:
- Shoot various types of short- and long-form video.
- Help creatively drive the shoots, both in terms of style and structure; and encouraging innovation.
- Help craft stories that will resonate with the intended audience.
- Work closely with hosts.
- Work with internal partners including the Edmunds’ written, strategy and social teams to maximize the success of the content across YouTube, client sites and social platforms.
- Ensure hosts are telling a compelling story.
- Prep video gear for productions.
- Advise head of production and producers on gear/equipment updates and innovations.
- Work closely with field producers/directors on how to viscerally tell a story in a compelling manner.
- Work with producers to edit raw footage to create dynamic and compelling automotive video content.
- Work with producers and our social media team to create engaging social video content.
- Work with lead editors to efficiently prepare edit-projects.
- Color correct, sound mix and create high-resolution exports for the web and other platforms.
- Work alongside lead editors and managers to constantly improve workflows.
- Troubleshoot technical issues that arise, as needed.
- Collaborate with video team members in the creative planning, scripting, and pre production of upcoming projects.
What You Need:
- Experience filming digital short-form content for publishers, brands or agencies.
- Experience in documentary filmmaking, a plus.
- Degree in film, video, or related field is a plus, but not required.
- Experience in the major line of camera bodies and brands.
- Strong abilities in framing, composition, lens selection and camera movement.
- Strong command of various still and motion formats.
- Ability to wear a lot of hats (at times, you may act as producer, director, DP, gaffer, audio tech and grip.).
- Willingness to travel for productions.
- Strong storytelling skills.
- 3 Years of experience working as an assistant editor in digital, doc, advertising, or TV.
- A portfolio of work that reflects your editing ability, and projects that you have worked on as an assistant.
- Proficient in Adobe Premiere.
- Proficient in Adobe Media Encoder.
- Working knowledge of Adobe After Effects.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop.
- Very strong storytelling skills both in shooting and editing.
- An eye for detail, pacing, and continuity.
- Ability to take notes from multiple sources and implement them in your edit.
- Self starter and a strong collaborator.
- Ability to work cross-functionally across the organization.
- Ability and willingness to learn under the guidance of Sr. staff.
Flexible time off
13 Paid Holidays
Comprehensive Health Benefits (medical, dental, vision, life and disability)
Flexible Spending Accounts (Employees) and Health Savings Accounts (Employee and Employer Contributions)
401K Plan with Company Matching at 50%, up to 6% of employee eligible contribution and vesting after 1 year
Up to 4 months Paid Parental Leave
HeartCash matches employee donations to the causes that are important to them
2 Days of Paid Time Off for time to dedicate to social impact causes
FitCash covers a portion of gym or fitness activity fees
Well being sessions and events such as yoga, meditation and walking challenges
On-going career development sessions and an annual learning event
Pre-tax spending accounts for qualified transportation expenses
Plus a coffee bar, frozen yogurt and more!
Working @ Edmunds.com:
Employees think it’s a pretty great place to work and some pretty impressive publications think it is too: we have been recognized as one of the best places to work by the Fortune Magazine and Great Places to Work, LA Business Journal (for the last 6 years!), Computerworld, Built in LA and Inc. Magazine. We've also been identified as one of the best workplaces specifically in Technology and also for Diversity and Asian Americans. If you’re interested in learning more and joining our mission, we’d love to hear from you!
Edmunds will consider for employment qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable laws.