Senior Technical Product Manager
Edmunds Website | Santa Monica, CA | Full Time
At Edmunds we’re driven to make car buying easier. Ever since we began publishing printed car guides in the 60’s, the company has been in the business of trust, innovating ways to empower and support car shoppers. When Edmunds launched the car industry’s first Internet site in 1994, we established a leadership position online and have never looked back. Now, as one of the most trusted review sites on the Internet, millions of visitors use our research, shopping and buying tools every month to make an easy and informed decision on their next car. For consumers, we bring peace of mind. For dealers, we make tools to help them solve their problems and sell more cars. How do we do it, you ask? The key ingredients are our enthusiastic employees, progressive company culture and cutting-edge technology. Want to join the team? Read on to find out how!
What You’re Applying For:
Edmunds is looking for a full-time Sr. Technical Product Manager who can provide direction and organization for technical projects that cut across the multiple teams. In this role, your customers will be product and engineering teams who are building data applications and services that support Edmunds.com and our suite of dealer facing products. You will work with these internal customers to understand their needs, document requirements, and extend our platform to support them.
This role reports to the Executive Director of Program Management, joining a diverse team of experienced project and product managers. The ideal candidate will have a background in software engineering and have 5+ years delivering technical software projects of high quality, and have the ability to thrive in a dynamic environment where change is both expected and welcomed.
What You’ll Do:
- Act as a business owner and project manager for 2-3 technical initiatives
- Use your technical knowledge to work across various stakeholders and business functions to identify, define and deliver technical solutions that meet critical business needs
- Elicit requirements from internal customers (product management, data and engineering teams), synthesize and document them into stories for the product backlog
- Break requirements into iterative sprint-sized stories that optimize speed-to-value
- Articulate business and customer value to development team and use it to guide prioritization
- Partner with technical leadership to construct and own overall project delivery timelines, technical product roadmaps and conduct sprint planning
- Work within or across multiple project teams to insure that blockers are resolved, and communication gaps are plugged quickly and efficiently
- Guide teams through changes in priorities and milestones at the direction of executive sponsors for your projects
You’ll love this job if:
- You have a passion for working with internal customers and teams
- You enjoy working closely with technical teams, can speak the lingo and understand how to help them do their best work
- People compliment you on your ability to work seamlessly across business and technical teams and your ability to translate and facilitate discussions between them
- You embrace change and delight in the new opportunities that present themselves each time you are asked to learn something new
What You Need:
- B.S degree or equivalent in a technical or analytical discipline
- 5+ years technical product or project management experience with software/web development projects
- Hands-on experience managing cross-functional teams of 5-15 people using Agile scrum and Kanban software development methodologies
- Experience writing and implementing technical stories, prioritizing stories, and managing a product backlog
- Experience managing the full development life-cycle (develop, test, and release software into production) with mixed on-site/offshore development teams
- Working knowledge of Google Apps, Atlassian JIRA, and Slack
- Superior communication, coordination, and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, while using your resourcefulness and experience to ask for help from the right people when you need it
- Ability to act as an accurate translator across business and technical functions
- Ability to effectively lead teams through influence in a matrixed organization
- Ability to navigate and adapt quickly to ambiguity and change
Working @ Edmunds.com:
Employees think it’s a pretty great place to work and some pretty impressive publications think it is too: we have been recognized as one of the best places to work by the Fortune Magazine and Great Places to Work, LA Business Journal, Computerworld, and Built in LA. We've also been identified as one of the best workplaces specifically in Technology and also for Diversity and Asian Americans. In fact, our CEO, Avi Steinlauf, was rated as one of Glassdoor's Highest Rated CEOs! If you’re interested in learning more and joining our mission, we’d love to hear from you!
Edmunds will consider for employment qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable laws.