Senior Software Engineer, Big Data
Technology | Remote | Full Time
Edmunds offers flexibility to work fully remote, from our Edquarters, or a combination of both
At Edmunds we’re driven to make car buying easier. Ever since we began publishing printed car guides in the 60’s, the company has been in the business of trust, innovating ways to empower and support car shoppers. When Edmunds launched the car industry’s first Internet site in 1994, we established a leadership position online and have never looked back. Now, as one of the most trusted review sites on the Internet, millions of visitors use our research, shopping and buying tools every month to make an easy and informed decision on their next car. For consumers, we bring peace of mind. For dealers, we make tools to help them solve their problems and sell more cars. How do we do it, you ask? The key ingredients are our enthusiastic employees, progressive company culture and cutting-edge technology. Want to join the team? Read on to find out how!
What You’re Applying For:
Edmunds is looking for a data engineer to help us manage the data explosion dilemma! You will be joining a strong, determined and results-oriented Data Engineering team that is transforming Edmunds from IT to Data-driven. You will get hands-on experience solving complex data problems using Big Data frameworks and methodologies. You’ll be helping the company make sense of the torrent of data it receives, empowering analytics on existing products as well as providing insights on potential new opportunities for growth.
What You’ll Do:
- Create and maintain scalable, maintainable and reliable pipelines that process very large quantities of structured and unstructured data.
- Unify streaming and batch processing modes into one cohesive framework of processing including monitoring and alerting that fit into a unified and reliable Big Data infrastructure.
- Build streaming data pipelines that enable the business to adapt in real-time.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Regularly reviews work with/from peers with a goal of improving personal knowledge of the systems, ensuring that code changes meet business goals and technology best practices.
- Regularly interacts and collaborates with personnel across functions (product, technology, analytics, operations) within the assigned team and technology chapter.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, and Data teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
What You Need:
- Excellent problem solving, troubleshooting, and communication skills.
- Desire to learn new technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to design and write maintainable software
- Understanding of software engineering best practices, object oriented analysis & design, and design patterns & algorithms
- Experience enhancing and evolving existing systems
- Almost all of our codebase is in Scala and Python, but we only require that you have a high proficiency in at least one object oriented or functional programming language
- You will be a very solid candidate if you also have:
- Experience writing ETL Jobs and working with data
- Familiarity with some of the following: Spark, Scala, Python, SQL, AWS, Databricks, Airflow
- Other Nice to haves: Kubernetes, Machine Learning
Flexible time off
13 Paid Holidays
Comprehensive Health Benefits (medical, dental, vision, life and disability)
Flexible Spending Accounts (Employees) and Health Savings Accounts (Employee and Employer Contributions)
401K Plan with Company Matching at 50%, up to 6% of employee eligible contribution and vesting after 1 year
Up to 4 months Paid Parental Leave
HeartCash matches employee donations to the causes that are important to them
2 Days of Paid Time Off for time to dedicate to social impact causes
FitCash covers a portion of gym or fitness activity fees
Well being sessions and events such as yoga, meditation and walking challenges
On-going career development sessions and an annual learning event
Pre-tax spending accounts for qualified transportation expenses
Plus a coffee bar, frozen yogurt and more!
Working @ Edmunds.com:
Employees think it’s a pretty great place to work and some pretty impressive publications think it is too: we have been recognized as one of the best places to work by the Fortune Magazine and Great Places to Work, LA Business Journal (for the last 6 years!), Computerworld, Built in LA and Inc. Magazine. We've also been identified as one of the best workplaces specifically in Technology and also for Diversity and Asian Americans. If you’re interested in learning more and joining our mission, we’d love to hear from you!
Edmunds will consider for employment qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable laws.