Business Analytics | Santa Monica, CA | Full Time
At Edmunds we’re driven to make car buying easier. Ever since we began publishing printed car guides in the 60’s, the company has been in the business of trust, innovating ways to empower and support car shoppers. When Edmunds launched the car industry’s first Internet site in 1994, we established a leadership position online and have never looked back. Now, as one of the most trusted review sites on the Internet, millions of visitors use our research, shopping and buying tools every month to make an easy and informed decision on their next car. For consumers, we bring peace of mind. For dealers, we make tools to help them solve their problems and sell more cars. How do we do it, you ask? The key ingredients are our enthusiastic employees, progressive company culture and cutting-edge technology. Want to join the team? Read on to find out how!
What You’re Applying For:
The analytics group at Edmunds.com is looking for an Analytics Development/ Business Intelligence (BI) Engineer who will work with Business Intelligence tools in collaboration with product owners, analysts, marketing and engineering to design and implement analytics solutions and reporting for Edmunds. Currently our most heavily used tools/systems are Interana, Tableau, Redshift, Python, Google Analytics, and Google Tag Manager.
Edmunds.com is all about data, big data! We are fast becoming the de facto standard by which automotive information is defined in United States. We collect detailed user behavior for over 18 million unique visitors a month. The BI Engineer is responsible for building BI solutions, analyzing data, maintaining the platform and answering questions in the analytics realm.
We are looking a person that is smart, creative, ambitious and most of all passionate about data. Large-scale data analytics and building data pipelines should excite you. Edmunds is very much about helping its people grow—meaningfully, effectively and prosperously. We care about what we do and we care about our people. A demonstrated passion for data and analytics will provide incredible growth opportunities and will make this the best job you ever had
What You’ll Do:
● Work with business users directly to gather requirements and provide solutions and insights
● Follow Agile/KanBan project management methodology
● Translate functional requirements into technical designs and choose the appropriate BI solutions
● Document requirements as well as functional and technical designs
● Apply Minimum Viable Product (MVP) approach to test the solution before building the entire application/dashboard/tool/pipeline
● Facilitate the implementation and documentation of all tracking pixels flowing into the Edmunds Data Warehouse
● Assist in managing multiple Analytics platforms/systems/tools such as Interana, Tableau, Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, and Airflow.
● Take joint responsibility with the team to ensure data consistency and accuracy across multiple endpoints such as S3 parquet files, Redshift, Databricks, Big Query, Interana, and Tableau.
● Actively promote self-service analytics to all Edmunds employees through training and documentation.
● Provide “on-call” support one week out of every 5 or 6 to troubleshoot and/or solve issues that arise with production processes.
● Often the business partner you are working with will know the kind of insights they need, but will not know what data is available to gain those insights. Your job will be to know and/or find out what data is available and translate it to a consumable format for the business partner.
● When you are “on-call” and an issue comes up there will be times where the problem is not obvious and requires investigation of code you did not write and unfamiliar logs. Your job will be to figure out complex issues and/or find the right person to help
What You Need:
● Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or equivalent work experience.
● Minimum 3 Years of Professional development experience.
● Proficient data analysis experience utilizing SQL and spreadsheets.
● Working knowledge in any RDBMS - preferably Postgres or Redshift.
● Experience in Business Intelligence tools such as Tableau, Google Analytics or equivalent.
● Working Knowledge in Scripting Languages like UNIX(Shell Script), Python.
● Working knowledge in a programming language such as Java, C#, or Perl.
● Experience using Databricks, Interana, Google Analytics and/or Google Tag Manager would be a big bonus
● Familiarity with statistical analysis using tools such as R.
● Experience in interacting with cross functional teams.
● Ability to create and present status reports to senior executives.
● Experience using tools such as JIRA, Confluence
Working @ Edmunds.com:
Employees think it’s a pretty great place to work and some pretty impressive publications think it is too: we have been recognized as one of the best places to work by the Fortune Magazine and Great Places to Work, LA Business Journal (for the last 6 years!), Computerworld, and Built in LA. We've also been identified as one of the best workplaces specifically in Technology and also for Diversity and Asian Americans. In fact, our CEO, Avi Steinlauf, was rated as one of Glassdoor's Highest Rated CEOs! If you’re interested in learning more and joining our mission, we’d love to hear from you!
Edmunds will consider for employment qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable laws.