Technology | SF Bay - East Bay | Full Time
About Our Company
eCurrency is an early-stage software and hardware technology company creating digital currency enterprise solutions for e-money providers and banks. We aim to revolutionize the world of e-money by converting physical cash into digital fiat currency. We are a small company with a recent substantial funding and a great team of professionals. We operate globally and conduct much of our business outside of the US. We believe we are the best professional opportunity available in the Bay Area. You can learn more about us at ecurrency.net
Position: VP Engineering
We are looking for an experienced VP of Engineering to lead our global team of software, hardware and networking professionals. The job is as diverse as the people we employ and the technical components of our enterprise solution: custom hardware appliances, complex networks, cryptography, transactional systems of high-reliability and performance, security on all levels of the solution stack, a browser-based GUI. Most of our technology is built on Java and Linux.
VP of Engineering will be responsible for delivering a reliable, secure and feature-rich product. Duties of the position include, but are seldom limited to:
- Managing a team of highly skilled and experienced technologists in an agile product development environment
- Recruiting and retaining the team
- Working with the team and the CTO to translate a high-level product direction and requirements into concrete epics and development stories
- Working with the team and the CTO to continue evolving the technical architecture of the product
- Working with the team and the Chief Security Officer to continue evolving and improving the security of the product
- Managing sprints and release cycles
- Preparing internal and external technical communication and documentation
- Managing technology vendors
Desired Education, skills and experience
We understand that you may not possess all the experience listed below, but a successful VP of Engineering candidate will possess a substantial subset of the following skills, knowledge, education and experience:
- Several years of past experience as a software engineer architecting and building server-side application components, and a good exposure to hardware engineering, networking, quality assurance, data center operations and similar other aspects of computer technology
- Demonstrated ability to guide and manage teams through building complex, distributed computing systems
- Extensive experience managing teams building highly data-intensive enterprise applications and experience with challenges of highly available and redundant systems
- Experience with computer security, secure communications and fundamentals of cryptography
- Experience with Java and related technologies, interfaces, tools, application servers, JMS, RMI, message queues, object-relational boundaries etc.
- Charisma and a demonstrated ability to provide technical and career leadership to a team of experienced engineers
- Experience with agile product development methodologies and approaches
- Flexibility to operate in a small company environment with often shifting priorities and limited resources
- Ability to easily and succinctly communicate technical concepts and ideas to both technical and non-technical personnel
- Motivation to do what’s necessary to achieve company goals under pressure
- An ability and a desire to learn daily and an ability to thrive in a dynamic and challenging environment
- Pragmatic mind-set with an ability to adopt and adapt, appreciation for teamwork and for the efforts of other team members
- Love and passion for creating useful products whose mission is to improve lives of people underserved by the traditional financial system, and for making a profit while doing so
- M.Sc. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related disciplines
Compensation and Benefits
We offer market salaries, equity and competitive benefits packages.
The position is available at our downtown Oakland, CA office, steps away from BART
The position reports to the Chief Technology Officer.
Occasional travel to our other offices and overseas customer sites will be required.