Senior Software Engineer
Technology | SF Bay - East Bay | Full Time
eCurrency is the creator of software, hardware and security technology underlying electronic currency issued and managed by Central Banks, just like they issue banknotes and coins. We are revolutionizing the world of e-money, and we are not alone in this opinion: check out www.ecurrency.net/news to see our recent press coverage. Our initial focus is on the developing world and on removing economic barriers for the unbanked. We are an early stage company with a recent substantial funding and a great team of professionals. We operate globally with a presence in multiple countries.
eCurrency delivers a novel, unique and patented combination of software, hardware, and cryptographic security protocols. We tackle a difficult and important problem which demands high security, high performance and high reliability.
We are looking for highly skilled software engineers and architects with experience in creating distributed, high performance and reliable enterprise systems using Java and Java-based open source components on Linux. Our customers literally issue money, so performance, security and reliability are of the utmost importance.
Our system comprises a geographically distributed high-throughput transaction layer with management backplane and a data warehouse and reporting system. You will be working in all of these areas.
- Build and own critical parts of our system.
- Design and implement high-volume, low-latency, distributed transaction processing systems, making thoughtful tradeoffs between consistency and availability
- Enhance and extend our APIs to match industry standards and trends
- Ensure that we meet the highest standards for security and compliance
We understand that you may not possess all the skills listed below, but a successful candidate will possess a substantial subset of the following skills, knowledge, education and experience:
- MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related disciplines
- Several years of experience in software engineering, with at least 5 years of experience in architecting and building server-side application components
- Demonstrated ability to architect and build complex distributed systems
- Understanding of strategies for locking, race condition avoidance and transactional integrity in highly distributed systems
- Extensive experience with Java and related technologies, interfaces, tools, application servers, JMS, RMI, message queues, object-relational mapping etc.
- Extensive experience building highly data-intensive enterprise applications and intimate knowledge of tools such as RDBMS and data warehousing, and challenges associated with large data sets
- Experience with and appreciation for challenges of highly available and redundant systems
- In-depth knowledge of Linux/Unix
- Familiarity with secure communications and fundamentals of cryptography
- Ability to easily and succinctly communicate technical concepts and ideas and architecture guidance
- Enjoy operating in a small company environment under minimal supervision
- Love and passion for creating software
- Be a key part of a revolutionary product
- Get early-stage company stock options and competitive salary and benefits in a stable series C environment with established customer value proposition and immediate customer deployments
- Be a part of an incredible, global team
- Learn not only new technical skills but also a new way of looking at money and the monetary system
- Be a part of our mission to reduce economic barriers for the unbanked population, especially in the developing world