Senior Firmware Engineer
Engineering | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Ecosense is a rapidly growing technology company based in Los Angeles. Our purpose is to invent, inspire and transform how we experience light. Our strategy is audacious and our expectations are high. We are pioneering in the areas of color science, photometry and mixed reality. Using the sun and the moon as inspiration, we are using our inventions to enhance our industry’s understanding of light and materially transform expectations for artificial light.
We have been fortunate to light some of the most coveted spaces on earth and to be recognized by the likes of Red Dot for innovation and design, as well as Inc 500 and Deloitte for consistently making their fastest growing companies lists.
Ecosense hires curious, collaborative, autonomous and smart people who also happen to be very nice. We have a passion for tackling the unknown, solving hard problems, and answering questions that haven’t been explored.
Primary Role and Responsibility:
The Senior Firmware Engineer will lead all phases of software development targeting embedded systems, including design, coding, integration, and debugging of major portions of software projects.
We are not focused on constricting rules and wasteful processes; therefore, you will bring demonstrated experience to imaginatively address assignments of all complexity levels. We value the ability to collaborate, learn and provide the freedom necessary for each person to do their work, with the expectation that we will get high performance in return.
The candidate will demonstrate self-motivation and own the execution of project/program tasks, confidently challenge traditional conventions and recommend new effective approaches. Deliverables may require extensive technical analysis and inventive design recommendations for cost effective resolutions. Contributions may lead to new ideas that support the generation of intellectual property. The Firmware Engineer will synchronize across functional groups to ensure all inputs are received and guide technical support staff in testing and analysis.
- To design and develop critical firmware architecture that will be utilized across leading-edge platforms
- Design and develop organized, easy to read and modify software source code for embedded systems
- Debug software/firmware using emulators, analyzers, simulators, and similar tools
- Develop applications using industry standard technologies such as object-oriented design, open source and portable development
- Design and develop communication protocols, standard and proprietary for device communications via wireless and wired technologies
- Create object libraries, applications, daemons and drivers deployed inside embedded hardware devices
- Document software designs and code with specifications and source comments, and create end user documentation
- Program in high level and low-level languages as appropriate including C/C++ and assembler.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of cross functional and related technical areas such as Software Quality techniques, software configuration management and release management
- Research upcoming projects and present findings to corporate leadership and integrate results into team technical strategy
- Prepare, present and lead peer to peer and cross functional design review meetings
- Bachelor's degree or greater in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
- 5 to 7 years of professional experience directly related experience in embedded control systems design and development
- Experience in C, C++ and embedded programming
- Understanding of RTOS concepts and expertise in designing event driven real-time system firmware
- Direct experience in using FreeRTOS is desirable
- Experience in designing firmware using one or more of the lighting control communication protocols such as DALI, DMX, BLE, BLE-Mesh, ZigBee, Z-Wave etc.
- Experience in using WIFI and other communication protocol is a plus.
- Product development experience in lighting control application or LED drivers is desired
- Product development experience in multi-channel LED systems including advanced color, circadian stimulus, or other spectral tuning color algorithms is desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (less than 20%)
- Possess the ability and willingness to roll up sleeves and execute to get the job done
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.