Engineering | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Ecosense is a rapidly growing technology company based in Los Angeles. Our purpose is to invent, inspire and transform how we experience light. Our strategy is audacious, and our expectations are high. We are pioneering in the areas of color science, photometry and mixed reality. Using the sun and the moon as inspiration, we are using our inventions to enhance our industry’s understanding of light and materially transform expectations for artificial light.
We have been fortunate to light some of the most coveted spaces on earth and to be recognized by the likes of Red Dot for innovation and design, as well as Inc 500 and Deloitte for consistently making their fastest growing companies lists.
Ecosense hires curious, collaborative, autonomous and smart people who also happen to be very nice. We have a passion for tackling the unknown, solving hard problems, and answering questions that haven’t been explored.
Primary Role and Responsibility:
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer to play a critical role in our fast-growing, non-traditional, technology company. In this role, the Mechanical Engineer will drive the concept, mechanical design and development of next generation LED lighting products.
The Mechanical Engineer will have strong and effective communications skills to coordinate with a cross-functional team to meet very aggressive performance, cost and schedule goals. These communication skills will be critical when partnering with management of outside resources for design, prototyping, and testing of new fixtures and concepts.
In depth expertise in manufacturing technologies is a prerequisite including experience in injection molded and extruded plastics; die cast and extruded aluminum; stamping, forming, and spinning of sheet metal; CNC machining of metal and plastics; and additive manufacturing and prototyping methods. It is also critical to have knowledge in secondary and finishing operations including by not limited to post mold/cast machining, anodization, painting, hard coating, and vacuum metallization.
Since we are developing high technology lighting fixtures, broad experience with products requiring electronics packaging, thermal management, and aesthetic requirements are very important.
The Mechanical Engineer will also create 2D drawings, BOMs, and other documentation necessary for product implementation; vendor selection; tooling trials (on-site and otherwise) to determine form, fit and functionality; documentation of new inventions and interaction with outside counsel to protect them.
- Handling mechanical development of electronic products from concept to mass production
- Systems or project engineering for lighting products
- High quality execution of project with minimal supervision
- Working as team with cross functional departments: industrial design, electrical engineering, program management, product management, supply chain, quality and production engineering
- 3D design of electronic assemblies that meet the performance, cost and schedule requirements defined by the business and development team
- Conduct design reviews with cross-functional teams
- Estimating mechanical part costs in early stage of design
- Risk and Mitigation plans; tolerance analysis; DFM, DFA, DFMEA
- Creation and execution of test plans
- 2D prints and BOM, with assembly process documentation
- Creation of EVT and DVT reports to communicate development status
- Root cause analysis of failures, and implementation of corrective actions; lessons learned
- Keep up-to-date on state-of-the art technologies
- Competitive bench marking for each project
- Technical support for production issues and returns
- FEA simulations (stress, thermal) to provide early proof of concept for designs
- Experience with international suppliers (Asia or Mexico)
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or Product Design
- 3 to 10 years of professional experience in mechanical systems design directed toward consumer hard products (lighting desired but not necessary)
- Proficiency with mechanical CAD (Pro/E, SolidWorks, etc)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (less than 20%)
- Must be able to manage multiple projects in dynamic work environment
- Demonstrated success in designing products in both high volume (1M+/year) and low volume (10k/year) environments
- Experience with MS Office, Solidworks PDM, Arena PLM, Confluence, Jira (preferred)
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.