Manager/Director of Electrical Engineering
Engineering | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Job Description: Manager/Director of Electrical Engineering
Ecosense is a rapidly growing technology company based in Los Angeles. Our purpose is to invent, inspire and transform how we experience light. Our strategy is audacious and our expectations are high. We are pioneering in the areas of color science, photometry and mixed reality. Using the sun and the moon as inspiration, we are using our inventions to enhance our industry’s understanding of light and materially transform expectations for artificial light.
We have been fortunate to light some of the most coveted spaces on earth and to be recognized by the likes of Red Dot for innovation and design, as well as Inc 500 and Deloitte for consistently making their fastest growing companies lists.
Ecosense hires curious, collaborative, autonomous and smart people who also happen to be very nice. We have a passion for tackling the unknown, solving hard problems, and answering questions that haven’t been explored.
The Manager/Director of Electrical Engineering will report to the VP of Engineering. They will be the execution engine partnering with mechanical, systems, software and optical teams, responsible for developing and launching new, innovative, and first-to-market products that will result in significant increases in market share and revenue growth. These best-in-class products are high-end, spec-grade focused with a consumer electronics-like design, innovation and engineering platform. This Manager/Director will be a proven people developer and manager; providing technical, project management and organizational leadership for the Electrical Engineering department with the goal of delivering exceptional products on time, on spec and within budget.
The successful candidate will be an outstanding manager of fellow engineers, capable of managing multiple complex product development and support efforts with a "hands on" style that affords a high degree of personal interaction with the process; as well as ideally having a strong technology vision in order to “see around corners.” This leader must also have an entrepreneurial approach and urgency to match their engineering aptitude.
Primary Role and Responsibility:
Build, lead and drive a best-in-industry electrical engineering team capable of developing hyper-disruptive product + technology platforms
- A development and execution expert; second-to-none in taking differentiated technology products to market
- Collaborate with the leadership team to ensure that new products meet market, process and technology requirements
- Contribute to and execute on the product development roadmap and ensure that products are on-time, on-spec and on-budget
- Direct the concept design, simulation and optimization of new products and platforms
- Partner with marketing for new product development and design reviews. Actively participate in product life cycle planning: contributing to the product definition and specification and prototype testing, and leading the effort to define process recipes and protocols
- Work with the operations and technology teams throughout the development process to ensure adherence to DFX principles as well as the CM partner(s) for manufacturing
- Minimum 8 years of increasing responsibility designing and developing high volume highly complex systems with hardware and software integration (Lighting, CE, connected devices, networking equipment, etc); at least 5 years in a technical leadership role
- Ability to promote a strong sense of urgency in the engineering function
- Track record of creating innovative new products and processes; a proven "first-to-market" and "never been done before" mentality
- A Super-Manager with the ability to break through bottlenecks, drive process and programs, and build out + mentor teams
- Fast-paced, high-growth experience in both large and small companies
- High IQ and EQ with a strength in people leadership and development
- Experience leading/driving innovative high-tech products to market in a rapidly growing, time-sensitive (> 6 months to market) environment
- Excellent communicator across all levels of the organization and create a sense of urgency and inspire a commitment to excellence
- Proven project management skills and program management experience
- Experience building teams and creating cultures that are accountable and accustom to meeting/exceeding commitments
- Highly decisive and possess an ability to make decisions quickly; can also make tough calls with confidence
- Anticipate and resolve roadblocks and manage customer expectations
- Well-versed in managing multiple on-going projects within specified time and budgetary restrictions while maintaining strategic vision with regard to future issues
- The candidate must possess excellent written and verbal skills, as well as the ability to work with other members of the senior management team to develop and launch new products
- The successful candidate will also possess the essential characteristics of creativity, integrity, competitiveness, accountability and teamwork
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or other related fields is required, M.B.A. is highly preferred.
- 10 years of professional experience in electronics systems design, with at least 5 directed toward low-wattage (5-150W) power supply design.
- Demonstrated success in designing products in both high volume (1M+/year) and low volume (10k/year) environments.
- In depth expertise in AC/DC power conversion including but not limited to flyback, boost and buck converter technologies.
- Experience in the implementation of MCU and DSP technology in intelligence (networking, controls, sensors) required, power conversion (“digital power supply”) desired
- FPGA/DSP programming experience highly desired.
- In depth expertise in developing systems that comply with THD requirements and FCC regulations
- Experience with dimming systems, both cut waveform (Triac, ELV), analog (0-10V) and digital (DALI) highly desired
- Broad experience with teams integrating electronics packaging, thermal management, and aesthetic requirements
- Experience with wireless technologies such as BLE Mesh and WiFi
- Proficiency with electronic simulation and schematic capture tools.
- Proficiency with analog circuit design and layout
- Proficiency with hands-on bench-top building and testing of power supplies.
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status. This position is not eligible for sponsorship.