Director of Mechanical Engineering
Engineering | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Director of Mechanical Engineering
Ecosense is a rapidly growing technology company based in Los Angeles. Our purpose is to invent, inspire and transform how we experience light. Our strategy is audacious, and our expectations are high. We are pioneering in the areas of color science, photometry and mixed reality. Using the sun and the moon as inspiration, we are using our inventions to enhance our industry’s understanding of light and materially transform expectations for artificial light.
We have been fortunate to light some of the most coveted spaces on earth and to be recognized by the likes of Red Dot for innovation and design, as well as Inc 500 and Deloitte for consistently making their fastest growing companies lists.
Ecosense hires curious, collaborative, autonomous and smart people who also happen to be very nice. We have a passion for tackling the unknown, solving hard problems, and answering questions that haven’t been explored.
Primary Role and Responsibility:
We are seeking a well-established Director of Mechanical Engineering to play a critical, leading role in our fast-growing, non-traditional, technology company. In this role, the Director of Mechanical Engineering will drive the concept, mechanical design and development from cradle to grave for next generation LED lighting fixtures and other cutting-edge technology projects. We are an entrepreneurial startup where strategic thinking, coaching and development, and a roll-up-the sleeves can-do mentality are equally essential.
- Deploy strong and effective communication and organization skills to coordinate with a cross-functional team to meet very aggressive performance, cost and schedule goals.
- Oversee multiple simultaneous development efforts and marshal outside resources for design, prototyping, and testing of new fixtures and concepts as required
- Utilize clever and a holistic approach that encompasses engineering design, cost, operational efficiency, manufacturability, transportation/packaging, reliability and end of life to achieve the outcome desired.
- Developing a strong team ability, coach and mentor team members to enable them to reach their highest potential
- Identify and prioritize development initiatives, timetables, implementation and deployment of product development critical tasks
- Effective management of critical tasks including, but not limited to: conceptual development, design analysis, 3D modeling, DFx, prototype development, test planning, EVT/DVT qualification, safety certifications, reliability validation, technical documentation, packaging development and validation, manufacturing and assembly aids and sustaining engineering/cost down efforts
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline. MS preferred
- 8 years progressive experience managing engineering teams
- 5 years managing engineers in the delivery of consumer-facing electromechanical products
- In depth knowledge of manufacturing technologies such as thermoplastic and thermoset molding, thermoforming die casting, plastic and metal extrusion, metal stamping
- Demonstrated success in launching products into high volume (500k+/year) and low volume (10k/year) contract manufacturing and internal plant environments
- Deep understanding of modern design principles
- Experience in developing/launching LED-based products beneficial but not required
- Excellent people management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (less than 25%)
- Broad experience with high technology products requiring electronics packaging, thermal management, and aesthetic requirements is very important
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.