Vice President of Engineering, Emerging Technologies
Engineering | San Diego, CA | Full Time
We're always looking for talented and creative people to join our team. Ebates offers a casual but fast paced environment where creativity and effective teamwork and collaboration are rewarded. We are passionate about changing the way people shop online and providing the best possible customer experience - not to mention cash back on every purchase, with no strings attached. In 2016, members spent over $6 billion on Ebates' websites and since the inception of the company, have earned nearly $1 billion in cash back. During the peak days of 2016, over 5% of U.S. online shopping went through Ebates!
Ebates is a profitable, high growth e-commerce company based in the San Francisco Bay Area. We are part of the Rakuten family of companies. Rakuten is a very progressive company providing Ebates with substantial capital, access to great technology, and access to international markets. We're always interested in meeting talented individuals interested in helping us change the way the world shops, so if you're passionate about helping save people money and improving the shopping experience apply below!
To learn about our culture and cool work environment, check us out on The Muse.
Ebates is looking for a proven technology leader and entrepreneur with experience helping as a go-to-market business partner to lead our strategic initiatives as our new Vice President of Emerging Technologies. Reporting to the CTO, you will be responsible for accelerating development and market adoption of new products by leading our engineering teams and working collaboratively with our product and business teams. Those new products include our strategic investments in: checkout, in-store offers, product catalog and search, and credit card vault. You will help mentor and develop our existing engineering teams as well as accelerate hiring and team building. Without knowing either the right eventual technology approach or the optimal blend of features and consumer-facing integrations at the start, you will need to balance fast iteration and prototyping with improvements in quality and a vision for scaling.
As a decision-maker who needs to balance iteration with scaling and quality with rapid feature delivery, you will need to demonstrate the following key competencies (in order of decreasing priority):
Prior innovation success as an entrepreneur or intrapreneur leading engineering teams across web and mobile platforms and driving short term results and long term success
- You have demonstrated you can identify and capture opportunities exposed by evolving technology and circumvent constraints from legacy technology with external partners
- You are a pragmatic business partner who help product and marketing develop and execute go-to-market plans
- You have proven judgement on how and when to evolve our approach. You know how to use external data, internal lessons, and observations of macro/industry trends to challenge our status quo and develop new hypotheses as required
- You are decisive and persuasive when a change in direction is required and move fast
- You have strong influencing skills to work with Product, UX, Sales, business and executive teams
Team and detail-oriented leader able to build and develop teams
- You are a humble team-player who is intensely competitive about winning as a team - but you are not political
- You foster a culture of trust and respect that is results-driven and ego-free
- You have built high performing teams by mentoring and developing teams and balancing retention with attracting new talent. You know how to create and deliver an effective, differentiated, talent strategy
- You are able to communicate a common vision for our new products across multiple geographies and across functions
- You have success organizing and motivating teams to drive rapid-iteration, results-focused experimentation and feature development
- You excel at creating and establishing processes to deliver upon defined technology and business goals/metrics, promoting a results-oriented environment with high standards for quality assurance, release management, and delivery of features
- You oversee development of, and if necessary develop yourself, product specifications detailing user scenarios, functional requirements, performance/security requirements and technical specifications
- You know what data you need to guide big and small decisions and are proactive in ensuring it’s available. While you have deep technology experience and trust your instincts and team, your default is to use data for insights
- You build management structure and processes to improve efficiency in a rapidly growing organization, including communication cross-functionally and to the executive team
Hands-on technology leader
- You take the lead in identifying and evaluating relevant new technologies to improve product and business results, including potential integrations with partners and investments to improve quality and to enable scaling.
- You have expertise building very high traffic and availability consumer systems
- You help the team make decisions on architecture and existing technologies.
- You proactively recommend integration opportunities across Ebates Inc
- You lead testing and rapid prototyping to assess hypothesis before recommending larger investments. You manage the emerging technologies budget and team to funding of continual such tests.
- Ability to balance iteration, scope, and scale
- You stay focused and balance the delivery of immediate results and long term opportunities in the face of increasing complexity across product lines, geographies, channels and internal and external global partners
- You have experience balancing investment to increase the pace of iteration and the ability to scale
- Previous experience in consumer web (e-commerce or e-travel) would be ideal but not required
- Better sense of humor than the average bear
Please note this position may also be based in our San Mateo, CA office.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Ebates are considered property of Ebates and are not subject to payment of agency fees.