Lead Visual Designer - Rakuten
G&A | San Mateo, CA | Full Time
Rakuten, Inc. is the largest ecommerce company in Japan, and third largest ecommerce marketplace worldwide. We seek to empower merchants to deliver Omotenashi, a hospitality mindset, which helps sellers create lasting relationships with customers. Along with the global marketplaces, Rakuten supports an ever expanding list of acquisitions and strategic investments in disruptive industries and growing markets.
At Rakuten, we offer competitive salaries, benefits, annual bonuses, a stocked kitchen and a dynamic office environment. We love investing in our people and when it comes down to it, we think our entire team is pretty awesome. As a technology focused company, we understand the importance of an energizing atmosphere that promotes collaboration and innovation.
Rakuten is hiring a Lead Visual Designer on its founding team of bandits to plan, design, and produce high impact content for its new people business: Rakuten Interactive Consulting. Considered a start-up at a very large/global tech company, Rakuten Interactive is a rule-minimum mission to return to our founder Hiroshi Mikitani’s inspiration 20 years ago: a team of 6, who works together, eats together – making something entrepreneurial and meaningful for society.
The upstart responsibility of being the creative drummer will involve all aspects of digital, web, and print with emphasis on video/interaction. The growth opportunity for a DEO-to-be will be pencil-to-production influence on one of the world’s most respected Internet companies. The dream opportunity is creative freedom to incorporate Rakuten’s $235M 4-year sponsorship of football team FC Barcelona: a worldwide audience of 2B+ each month. The excitement is and will be the constant chase-and-reply of a website that doesn’t exist, templates stuck on “Click to add title,” 300x250 AdSense ads on Layer 1, and a message about Rakuten employees solving the world’s most pressing problems—unheard. If the reader has ever overstayed welcome at a bookstore with a copy of “Logo Design Love,” we, of course, want to meet you. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- The ability to draw and conversely, take drawings effortlessly into digital form
- A cross-discipline toolset across print, video, and web
- Creative agency pedigree to deliver to the most demanding client expectations
- A production artist who understands the business value of beautiful, logical, and scalable content
- Catchy, rip-roaring, soothing, trusted, questioned, pixel perfect, output that shouldn’t be found on 99designs
- Cartons of Chinese alongside a creative who, sleeves-rolled, can plow through the mundane of templates/Visio/PowerPoint and make our consultants look smart/good/expensive
- A DeviantArt or web portfolio of photography, typography, short videos, or interaction design
- Award-winning creative as part of an agency or network
- BFA from recognized school (Parsons, Pratt, RISD) or significant personal portfolio
- 4-10 years of experience/apprenticeship that includes hands-on production of creative assets for agencies, their clients, B2B, eCommerce, startups
- Training at an Ogilvy, 4A, WPP, Publicus, Aegis-Dentsu type of school
- Advanced use of Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign a must) and creative packages such as Graphica
- Video Production highly preferred: short-form video, interaction design, “Now This” clipping summaries
- Experience in participation/execution of digital, inbound marketing, and ATL campaigns
- Ability to meet deadlines, over-communicate, and remain organized/disorganized in thoughts and process
- Quick, intuitive understanding of creative briefs and flexibility with hard-to-please audience
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Ebates are considered property of Ebates and are not subject to payment of agency fees.