Legal | San Mateo, CA | Full Time
We're always looking for talented and creative people to join our team. Ebates offers a casual but fast paced environment where creativity and effective teamwork and collaboration are rewarded. We are passionate about changing the way people shop online and providing the best possible customer experience - not to mention cash back on every purchase, with no strings attached. In 2016, members spent over $6 billion on Ebates' websites and since the inception of the company, have earned nearly $1 billion in cash back. During the peak days of 2016, over 5% of U.S. online shopping went through Ebates!
Ebates is a profitable, high growth e-commerce company based in the San Francisco Bay Area. We are part of the Rakuten family of companies. Rakuten is a very progressive company providing Ebates with substantial capital, access to great technology, and access to international markets. We're always interested in meeting talented individuals interested in helping us change the way the world shops, so if you're passionate about helping save people money and improving the shopping experience apply below!
To learn about our culture and cool work environment, check us out on The Muse.
We are looking for a talented Corporate Counsel who has the ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and exercise sound business judgment with critical thinking skills and high ethical standards. You should be a practical, clear, creative, business-focused and solution-oriented attorney, and a team player with a positive, can-do attitude. Our attorneys are expected to be able to maintain focus to task completion with little direction or need for supervisory follow-up. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following as additional roles and/or focus will be needed as the company and department continues to grow and evolve:
Scope of Responsibilities
- Provide advice and support company-wide, worldwide on a variety of legal issues on a daily basis in a timely and effective manner
- Act as subject matter expert for legal, compliance, transactional and business requirements
- Partner with other business functions including sales, marketing, engineering, finance and human resources to maintain legal compliance
- Oversee intellectual property compliance, specifically patents, privacy and publicity rights, trademark and copyrights
- Collaborate with representatives from various departments on developing and modifying practices and procedures to conform with legal requirements
- Ensure all forms, policies and procedures of the company are in compliance with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements
- Formulate and implement corporate legal policy concerning a variety of legal issues
- Identify, research and analyze relevant federal, state and local requirements and translate the requirements into business solutions
- Act as a liaison with outside law firms
- Participate in the development and review of press, communications and advertising materials
- Participate in due diligence for mergers and acquisitions and other transactions including drafting and reviewing agreements
- Prepare commercial contracts, form agreements and other documents for day-to-day business transactions
- Other duties as assigned by the General Counsel
Required Experience & Skills
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) or equivalent experience
- J.D. degree and license to practice law in California
- Minimum 5+ years of legal experience with at least 2-4 years in-house experience
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and must have strong collaborative skills
- Experience at a major Silicon Valley law firm and/or in-house (corporate) preferably in technology, mobile, social media, casual gaming, online advertising/marketing and/or Internet commerce
- Experience in overseeing intellectual property matters, specifically privacy and publicity rights, trademark and copyright and drafting of related agreements
- Experience with international matters
- Excellent interpersonal as well as written communication skills
- Familiar with a wide variety of general corporate and commercial transactional work
- Prior exposure to FCC and FTC compliance
- Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and/or Korean language skills
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Ebates are considered property of Ebates and are not subject to payment of agency fees.