Principal Protein Scientist
Protein Engineering | South San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Principal Protein Scientist
At Distributed Bio, our mission is to define a new paradigm in revolutionary bioengineered medicines for the biotechnology industry. In monoclonal therapeutics, our integration of computational immunology, bioengineering and robotics has enabled us to create a pipeline of molecules with unprecedented biophysical properties, while also supporting all of our partners with developable antibodies against any drug target of interest.
Our ability to discover antibodies against challenging pMHC, pathogen toxin, GPCR and Ion Channel targets, as well as a novel high-throughput discovery of CAR-T, has resulted in the growth of our antibody discovery business.
We are seeking a candidate with relevant hands-on experience who possesses a broad knowledge in the fields of protein analytics expression and engineering to lead a group of protein scientists. This position will independently conduct research variety of protein designs, expression purification and engineering. Candidate must be familiar with extensive protein chemistry and protein analytics. Major responsibilities are building a team that will design and execute protein generation to support the discovery departments with the goal of developing novel therapeutic approaches.
- Extensive understanding of protein chemistry, advanced bioanalytical and biophysical characterization of proteins and antibodies
- Proven record of success in the purification, and characterization of various classes of proteins from diverse hosts including mammalian proteins, antibodies, antibody fragments, and novel protein therapeutics
- Expert level operation of Cytiva/GE AKTA FPLC protein chromatography and ability to write chromatography programs in Unicorn software or equivalent systems including the ability to, resolve technical problems related to instruments
- Experience with different chromatography methods (affinity, ion-exchange, size exclusion, gravity, hydrophobic interaction) and biochemical and biophysical analytical characterization techniques including, but not limited to: SDS-PAGE, endotoxin, binding, in vitro activity, UV/Vis, RP-HPLC, SEC-HPLC, LC/MS, DLS, DSF, DSC, etc.
- Experience with protein chemistry protocols such enzymatic and chemical methods such as protease cleavage and biotinylation
- Experience in troubleshooting construct, expression, purification, recovery, and stability issue
- Structural biology background is a bonus
- Lead a group of Scientist in the protein expression and purification and engineering (proteins and antibodies)
- Present data for review, group discussions, and leadership team meetings.
- Multi-task effectively and prioritize multiple projects with guidance.
- Ability to collaborative work and team player.
- MS/PHD in protein Sciences and chemistry or related fields with a minimum 5-10 years of industry experience.
- Managed a group 2-5 scientists.
- Strong skills in protein chemistry and protein engineering
- Highly motivated with a strong attitude towards learning.
- Must be able to work productively in a fast-paced collaborative team environment.
- Excellent communication skills are essential.