EU Sustainability Manager
Sustainability & Recycling | Cologne, Germany | Full Time
Digimarc was founded with a very simple, but very big idea – that the objects all around us have stories to tell, and by giving them identities we enable them to tell their stories. In this quest we became a pioneer and world leader in the automatic identification of nearly every form of media type or physical object, ranging from packaging and printed materials, to identity and security documents, manufactured parts and even audio/video. You likely ‘experience’ Digimarc every day to improve your life.
This same technology has exciting new applications in the identification of plastics and other consumer waste to improve sortation in recycling facilities, while reducing the impact to landfills, oceans and the environment. If you’re ready to be a catalyst for change and steward for sustainability, making the circular economy a reality, we have a position for you.
Digimarc is seeking an EU Sustainability Manager to oversee the company’s technology and solutions for recycling and sustainability in the EU market and to represent the company in industry trade associations, governmental meetings and other influencer opportunities. This position will be advancing the development efforts and success the company has achieved with the HolyGrail 1.0 and 2.0 initiatives in Europe for sortation technology. A key goal of the company is to advance use of the technology in the EU and serve important government relations and business development roles. The breadth and volume of legislative and regulatory activity at all levels is staggering and requires us to leverage our scarce resources through aligning with other participants and influencing their positions to align with our needs. This might involve funding opportunities, but those tend to be time intensive and usually have limitations and co-investment requirements that are difficult to achieve.
This is a full-time position, and flexibility will be required with respect to matching availability with industry events or video meetings. The Manager will use their industry relationships and credibility to seek funded project opportunities and demonstrations for the company’s solutions. They will also serve as a technical advisor back to the company’s Recycling Core team on recycling industry practices, business models for plastics recovery, value propositions based on resins used for plastics in fast-moving consumer goods and assist the company in preparing documents and proposals. As a representative of the company, excellent written and verbal communication skills are required, with the ability to communicate technical and business information directly and clearly to the recycling community and executive staff within the company.
WHAT YOU WILL DO…
Business Development Responsibilities
- Model and understand the European recycling and sustainability ecosystem, including an understanding of critical providers and influencers
- Understand and model the markets and economics for the recycling industry
- Manage competitive environment with competing technologies
- Manage EU proposals process
- Support EU business development and sales efforts
Government Relations Responsibilities
- The primary objectives of our government relations activities include:
- Win more business though favorable government standards, requirements, targets and mandates
- Focus on favorable treatment in connection with essential requirements and EPR fee modulation
- Influence and align when possible with trade associations to advance favorable legislation on state, federal, and regional levels
- Monitor and track legislation and regulatory pronouncements in various countries (e.g. German Packaging Act)
- Understand and provide advocacy of technology in connection with essential requirements and EPR modulation
- Understand new plastics tax and implications for adoption
- Work with the producer responsibility organizations (PRO’s) in 26 countries
- Represent Digimarc in Brussels and European capitals
Trade Group and Influencers Responsibilities
- The primary objectives of our management of trade groups and their initiatives include:
- Participate in panels and committees to evangelize the technology (e.g., design for recycling standards)
- Manage coopetition between the agendas of competing industry groups
- Absorb and communicate the massive knowledge base that they provide
- Work with European trade associations (such as Consumer Goods Forum, Plastics Recyclers Europe, CEFLEX, Petcore Europe) on messaging and advocacy
- Work with key EU resources and allies in this area, including AIM (the European Brands Association), Petcore Europe, Eunomia (advisors to the European Union), the European Plastics Pact, and substantial support by Procter & Gamble’s regulatory affairs team on messaging and advocacy.
- Attend industry trade association conferences and participate in working groups and make presentations at industry events.
- Use industry contacts to seek opportunities for the company’s executives to present our technology with such groups as listed above.
- Monitor opportunities where the company’s technology might be funded and utilized in industry initiatives.
- Monitor the company’s efforts in Europe with the HolyGrail 2.0 initiative and be able to articulate the relevancy of those learnings, testing demonstrations and value propositions to customers and other audiences.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR…
Below are the skills and specifications required:
- Passionate about understanding customers’ needs and driving towards customer success
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with a broad range of individuals, groups, partners, and departments
- Proven government relations and trade association experience
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and initiatives, requiring outstanding time management and organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication, including presentation skills and ability to translate technical jargon
- Customer orientation and ability to present complex information to diverse audiences
- Strong business acumen
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong attention to detail and result oriented
- Ability to quickly absorb new technologies
- Ability to work extended hours and travel when required
- Alignment with the core Digimarc values of Innovation, Caring, Loyalty, Integrity, Commitment, and Knowledge in a dynamic working environment
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE…
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience desired
- Substantial understanding of the job, and applies knowledge and skills to complete a wide range of tasks
- As a skilled professional, completes tasks in creative and effective ways
- Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative in resolving issues or in making recommendations
- Understands implications of work and makes recommendations for solutions
- Self-motivated and works well with limited daily instruction or task management
- Experience in recycling and sustainability is a plus
- Familiarity with CRM systems such as Salesforce and agile practices a plus
- International business experience a plus
- English/German Bilingual preferred
Digimarc is seeking diverse applicants. We are an equal opportunity employer who considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected factor. We want the best people who share our values.
This job posting is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.