Full-stack Rails Engineer
Engineering | Multiple cities | Full Time | From $75,000.00 to $150,000.00 per year
Devpost's mission is to inspire the world's developers to build great software. Developers consider us their go-to site for discovering and competing in the world’s software competitions (hackathons), and for finding inspiration to build their next big project. As a developer on our team, you’ll help them do that daily.
Customers who trust us to inspire these developers include Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Atlassian, Square, DocuSign, Twitter, Snapchat, many startups and non-profits, and more. The global market for new software and its makers has exploded, and we’re uniquely positioned to provide developers with a platform for what matters to them: learning, community, and professional opportunity either within their organization or outside of it.
What We're Looking For:
We are seeking a mid level to senior level candidate who is passionate about building high quality software for our users. As an engineer on our team you will be responsible for taking on initiatives from start to finish for our new enterprise internal hackathon application. You'll have the opportunity to use your expertise to estimate and plan work, come up with architectural designs, implement code, give and receive feedback, and deliver software.
You should have an appreciation for both process and technology. We strive to be efficient, relentlessly improve and are always looking to better our team in these areas.
You love working with a small and collaborative team. We take pride in helping each other become better developers.
You want to work with Rails and Vue. Our stack is heavily focused on these technologies and you should be comfortable coding with them.
For the past several years, you've been:
- Using practices to improve code quality and reduce bugs (e.g. code reviews, automated tests)
- Designing systems and finding the right tools for the right job at the right cost
We'd Like to See:
- Experience developing, releasing, and maintaining web applications
- Ability to write clean, readable, reusable code
- Comfort with relational and/or non-relational databases (we use Postgres, Redis, and Elasticsearch)
- Strong understanding of performance, security, and telemetry usage
- Track record of collaboration and leadership in agile software methodologies
Our Core Values
- Relentlessly Improve - Time is limited. The industry we’re in is constantly changing. We cannot win if we don’t continually improve both our company and ourselves with intensity.
- Be Open - If we are open about things we are and aren’t doing well, honest about everything, and transparent with information, we make better decisions.
- Work Together - Collaboration between teams leads to better outcomes.
- Respect Everyone - Respect our users, our paying customers, our city’s community, and each other. We honor diversity because everyone should be equally well-respected. It’s the right thing to do.
- Live our Mission -It’s not enough to have a mission. We must live it passionately, and demonstrate it both inside and outside of our building in order to accomplish it.
Your Day to Day
- Communicate blockers and relevant updates daily at our standup
- Work with the engineering and product team to define the scope and implementation details of large features
- Break down large features into smaller pieces to be worked on
- Create technical designs for work and decide on things like the proper data stores, needs from background processing, or security
- Implement the feature end to end by writing Rails and Vue code and delegating parts where possible
- Writing automated tests (we use rspec, capybara, vitest, and vue test utils)
- Plan the release of features to deliver value to customers
- Experience with infrastructure configurations and maintenance (we use Heroku)
- Comfortable with macOS and unix based operating systems
- Evidence of community involvement, i.e. open source contributions on Github, StackOverflow questions/answers, Devpost portfolio showcasing your projects
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Stock Options
- Great Benefits
The position is for full-time employment. We're based in New York, but remote employees in the US and Canada are welcome!
If you’re interested in making a meaningful difference in the world through your code on day one, send us a copy of your resume and a cover letter sharing a little about you and why you might be a good fit. Please also provide a link to source code for a recent project that exemplifies your work.