Small Business Accountant
Accounting | Petoskey, MI | Full Time
Dennis, Gartland, & Niergarth is Northern Michigan's largest locally owned, full service public accounting firm. We are seeking a qualified SMALL BUSINESS ACCOUNTANT to join our team! If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding position in a company that can offer career growth, please apply!
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate an ability to perform functions of a staff accountant role and take on more complex tasks as learning progresses. Training and support provided in a highly functioning, positive, problem solving driven and collaborative team based setting.
- Given a wide variety of diversified accounting, audit and tax assignments under supervision of skilled professionals while often working directly with clients to support and problem solve on accounting related needs.
- Demonstrate the desire to grow within the organization by taking continuing education courses, seeking out challenging assignments, and contributing to other team members’ success.
- Record transactions in ledgers, prepare trial balances and simple financial statements using various computer software programs.
- Prepare and record journal entries.
- Reconcile client bank statements.
- Process client payroll.
- Reconcile accounts to control accounts.
- Perform schedule computations of accruals, property and equipment and calculate depreciation expense.
- Perform audit or review procedures as assigned by supervisors.
- Prepare payroll tax, sales or other local tax, annual employee W2’s, and payee 1099’s
- Assist in proofing financial statements, tax returns and other documents.
- Perform other accounting, auditing and tax duties as needed in engagements and as assigned by supervisory personnel.
- Obtain working knowledge of accounting, depreciation and tax computer software.
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Proficiency with computer, spreadsheet software program and calculator.
- General knowledge of accounting principles.
- Either hold a current and valid Certified Public Accountant’s license or be working toward obtaining the license by taking and passing the applicable state CPA exam.
- Occasional travel for work at clients, meetings or seminars.
- Occasional additional hours required throughout the year. Heavy additional hours required from January to April 15; may be in excess of 55 hours per week.
Dennis, Gartland & Niergarth (DGN) is Northern Michigan's largest locally owned, full service public accounting firm. Founded in 1973, the firm is based in Traverse City, MI with experienced staff dedicated to providing outstanding professional services with a personal connection to businesses and individuals throughout the region. DGN is known for its comprehensive tax, audit, technology and business consultation services, with added expertise in the agribusiness, manufacturing, professional offices, government/nonprofits and oil and gas business sectors. Our guiding principle for over 40 years - our clients' success is our business.