Senior Tax Accountant
Accounting | Traverse City, MI | Full Time
Dennis, Gartland & Niergarth (DGN) is hiring a Senior Tax Accountant who is responsible for timely preparation of complex tax returns. Works closely with one or more team members in completing these engagements and provides coaching in work performed. Often interacts with client directly regarding tax matters under guidance from a partner. Position focuses on trusted client relationships.
“After working at a larger firm in the past, I can say that my favorite part about working for DGN is the culture and the people I work with. The firm is large enough to attract top-tier talent and skilled professionals, but not so large that I feel lost in the shuffle. I know that if I have a question, I can ask any partner or manager and they will be happy to help.” -Alex, Tax Supervisor
Full-time position with benefits including medical insurance effective immediately, generous paid time off, profit sharing, life insurance, and more. A professional and flexible office environment in a team setting that promotes work/life balance, including summer flex Friday arrangements and dress for your day attire. Internal and external opportunities for continuing education to build skill sets and expertise.
- Performs diversified accounting and tax assignments under direction of a manager or partner.
- Demonstrates competency in technical skills, in work quality and application of professional and firm standards.
- Manage client deadlines and expectations.
- Prepares and organizes work papers consistent with office processes.
- Prepares complicated tax returns, including partner capital transactions and business buy/sell reporting
- Suggests tax planning strategies to present to clients
- Prepares IRS correspondence to client for approval and represents clients on IRS
- Strong communication skills, able to connect with clients and develop long term relationships
- At least three (3) years’ recent experience desired in public accounting, demonstrating a progression in complexity of tax knowledge and accounting tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Accounting, Taxation preferred, or closely corresponding field.
- Holds current and valid Certified Public Accountant’s license
- A member in good standing with the American Institute of CPAs.
- Proficiency in use of technology, accounting and tax software programs.
We are a true work community that cares about employees on a personal level. Our team enjoys informal outings, stress busters during tax season, and meeting virtually to maintain our connection. We are invested in your growth and are looking for someone that wants a long term career at a professional company.
We are seeking the right candidate who is excited about career growth and passionate about becoming a trusted advisor for clients. Our team approach to servicing clients means collaboration and a work culture that knows the importance of building connections with co-workers and clients alike. We are over 60 people strong; big enough to have the resources required to be a top firm and small enough to have a strong work community. DGN is known for its comprehensive tax, audit, and business consultation services, with added expertise in the agribusiness, manufacturing, professional offices, government/nonprofits and oil and gas business sectors.
DGN was named one of America’s Best Tax Firms for 2021 by Forbes Magazine. Of the 278 firms selected, DGN was the only one based in northern Michigan.
Our guiding principle for more than 45 years - our clients' success is our business.