Accounting | Traverse City, MI | Internship
About this Job
Our full service, dynamic public accounting firm with a one team culture is looking to add an energetic, motivated Accounting Intern who can learn and become actively engaged in a broad range of duties in our client service focused business!
Learn about us at www.dgncpa.com.
Full-time, paid position located in Traverse City, Michigan. Duration and start/end dates can be flexible and taken into consideration around student's availability.
Our mid-sized firm has been in service for over 47 years and continues to grow our comprehensive tax, audit, small business, financial and business advisory services comprised of experienced, dedicated professionals serving our community and region. We are an Inside Public Accounting Best of the Best Firm (2017 & 2019) and Top 400 Firm (2018 & 2019).
Our clients' success is our business is our guiding principle.
This is a great opportunity to gain hands-on experience working alongside professionals with years of public accounting experience.
· Records transactions in ledgers, prepares trial balances and simple financial statements using computer software programs.
· Reconciles accounts to control accounts.
· Performs schedule computations of accruals, property and equipment and calculates depreciation expense.
· Performs audit or review procedures as assigned by supervisors.
· Prepares payroll tax, sales or other local tax and certain personal income tax returns.
· Assists in proofing financial statements, tax returns and other documents.
· Performs other accounting, auditing and tax duties as needed in engagements and as assigned by supervisory personnel.
· Obtains working knowledge of accounting, depreciation and tax computer software.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
· Current undergraduate student preferably sophomore or above working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or graduate student working towards a Master’s degree in Taxation or in Business Administration (concentration in Accounting).
· Introductory knowledge of accounting principles and personal income taxes.
· Moderate to high proficiency of MS Office software using Word and Excel.
· Detail oriented and organized; strong communication and analytical skills; demonstrates competency in problem solving skills; and demonstrates values of integrity, accountability and teamwork.
Occasional overtime work required. Overtime work required at varying times in year may be in excess of 55 hours per week, including Saturday/weekend hours.
About Dennis, Gartland & Niergarth (DGN)
Dennis, Gartland & Niergarth (DGN) is northern Michigan's largest locally owned, full service public accounting firm. Founded in 1973, this local firm is based in Traverse City, MI with experienced staff providing outstanding accounting services with a connection to businesses and individuals throughout the region. DGN is known for its comprehensive tax, audit, financial and business consultation services, with added expertise in the agribusiness, manufacturing, professional offices, government/nonprofits and oil and gas business sectors. Our guiding principle for over 47 years - our clients' success is our business.