Finance | Napa, CA | Full Time | Opened 25 days ago
This role supports a collection of affiliated wine estates, including Heitz Cellar, a winery with a deep legacy in Napa Valley, as well as Demeine Estates, a fine wine négociant that serves as the sales and marketing partner for each of the wine estates. Demeine Estates was founded in 2019 by Gaylon Lawrence and Master Sommelier and CEO Carlton McCoy. Demeine’s initial focus is to partner with extraordinary winemakers to launch several new estate brands in order to fully realize the potential of a collection of more than 500 acres of distinct Napa Valley vineyards. All the new estates will honor traditional wine styles and prioritize natural farming techniques in order to create pure and balanced wines of the highest quality. Demeine will also seek to partner with great estates from around the world to represent them in the U.S. market. This endeavor creates a unique work culture where winemaking and vineyard traditions are honored, but the spirit is entrepreneurial.
The primary role of the Controller will be to manage all accounting functions of multiple affiliated entities. The Controller will build and manage an accounting team to support a growing and evolving organization. The Controller will add needed structure, but strive to maintain a lean entrepreneurial environment. The ideal candidate will embrace and implement new technologies where appropriate in order to build an efficient and scalable accounting and financial reporting operation.
- Manage the various accounting functions with a team of 3 direct reports, with team expansion as needed to support growth. Functions include:
- Own the general ledger for multiple affiliated entities
- cash management
- accounts payable & receivable
- fixed assets
- cost accounting (grapes and finished wine)
- inventory (tracking, transfers, location reconciliations, etc.)
- Responsible for all accounting-related systems including:
- ERP: manage the migration from AMS to Microsoft Business Central (FKA NAV or Navision)
- AP and expense management automation tools
- Audit support and year-end financial statements
- Support executive team with reporting and analysis
- Support/liaison for annual audit and tax reporting
- Support expense budgeting and forecasting processes
- Manage intercompany activity
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting preferred, CPA is a plus
- 10+ years of accounting work experience preferred, with a successful track record of advancement within an organization. We will consider less experience for certain extraordinary candidates.
- Experience in the wine industry or other CPG industry is a plus
- Big 4 Accounting experience is a plus
- Solid understanding of GAAP and how to balance that with managerial accounting, which is inevitably more important to executive decision-making
- Advanced skills in Excel and proficient with other Microsoft Office programs
- Experience with a modern ERP, notably Microsoft Navision or Business Central, is highly desirable
- Experience with and passion for streamlining accounting operations
- Understanding of and ability to research technical accounting issues
- Willingness to work extended hours when needed, especially in the first several months as the organization undergoes system and process modernization
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate with employees at all levels
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and/or fingers to handle or feel. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, talk or hear, and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Other Requirements: Employee must be at least 21 years of age, have a valid Driver’s License, and be insurable by company standards.
Benefits: Demeine offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, FSA, life, disability, Employee Assistance Program, retirement, and paid time off.
To Apply: Each qualified candidate is invited to submit a resume and cover letter.