Senior Scrum Master
Software Engineering | Framingham, MA | Full Time
Definitive Healthcare is a rapidly growing data and analytics provider of the most up-to-date, comprehensive, and integrated information on hospitals, physicians, and other healthcare providers.
Recently honored by the Boston Business Journal as one of the 10 fastest-growing private companies in Massachusetts and named THE BEST large company to work for on Business Journal’s Best Places to Work list published in June 2019, Definitive Healthcare is on an incredibly exciting trajectory. The company has more than doubled in size in the past 2 years and has 450 employees in the Framingham office. Our motivated and high-energy workforce is collaborative, kind, and engaged, which has led to exceptional retention rates. Our expansion has created the need for a talented and experienced Senior Scrum Master/Release Train Engineer. If you would like to contribute to building a product that is in high demand and evolving rapidly, keep reading!
As the Senior Scrum Master/Release Train Engineer you will join our growing Engineering team. In this role, you will serve and collaboratively guide self-managing Scrum teams to become more effective and proficient through open discussion, inspection, and adaptation. Strong candidates will have the right mix of interpersonal, facilitation, coaching/mentoring, verbal communication skills, and a breadth and depth of knowledge of Scrum and Agile techniques.
Here are the things you will tackle:
- Guide and coach Scrum Teams and relevant parts of the organization on how to effectively use Agile/Scrum practices to meet or exceed customers’ goals and expectations.
- Facilitate Scrum and Sprint rituals and enforce appropriate rules and role boundaries.
- Aggressively seek to eliminate waste and low value, costly behaviors.
- Remove impediments or guide the team to remove impediments by finding the right personnel to quickly remove or prevent blocking issues.
- Build a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis of healing and problem solving; correctly and collaboratively identify root cause of problems and implement reasonable and appropriate interventions.
- Facilitate getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
- Facilitate discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution.
- Assess Scrum maturity of the team and organization and lead the team to higher levels of performance, at a comfortably sustainable pace.
- Coach and mentor the Development Team and Product Owners
- Support and mentor Product Owners and Business Analysts, especially with respect to refining (aka grooming), managing the product backlog, and preparing for Sprint rituals.
- Coordinate activities leading up to a release to ensure teams are aligned to deliver the features to market
- Preserve and promote Agile culture, commitment to excellence, and adaptive flow.
- Assist with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information.
What you’ll need:
- BA, BS, or MS in a technical or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ recent years of experience as a full-time Scrum Master, Agile coach, or Scrum trainer
- 5+ years of experience in product or software development roles
- Excellent verbal communication and mentoring skills
- Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Experience with numerous well-documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum framework (examples: methods for estimation and forecasting, burndown/up techniques, retrospective formats, handling bugs, measuring team health, user stories, ATDD, TDD, BDD, continuous integration/delivery, continuous testing, pairing, automated testing, games, etc.)
- Ability to distinguish Agile anti-patterns; can clearly communicate knowledge, tools, and tactics that are most appropriate
Nice to have:
- 5+ years of experience as a Scrum Master, Agile coach, or Scrum trainer
- Scrum Master or Agile certification (PSM, CSM, CSP, CST, PMI-ACP, etc.)
- Experience being on multiple Scrum teams in a variety of different contexts (different team sizes, organization types, product/technology types, cultures, co-located vs. distributed, etc)
- Track record of continued and recent education in Scrum, including training, conferences, user groups, self-study, etc.
- Knowledge of pros/cons of frameworks and scaling approaches in the Agile space: XP, Kanban, Crystal, DaD, SAFe, LeSS, Nexus, etc.
- Experience as a Development Team member
Why we love Definitive, and why you will too!
- Industry leading products
- Work hard, and have fun doing it
- Incredibly fast growth means limitless opportunity
- Flexible and dynamic culture
- Work alongside some of the most talented and dedicated teammates
- Definitive Cares, our community service group, gives all of us a chance to give back
- Competitive benefits package including great healthcare benefits and a 401(k) match
What our Employees are saying about us on Glassdoor:
“Great Work atmosphere, great work life balance, excellent company to work for, amazing top notch product, incredible customer service, lots of tools to help you succeed.”
-Business Development Manager
“Great team. Amazing growth. Employees are treated very well.”
“I have waited 36 years to work at a dream job for a dream company and I am so happy to have finally got there.”
If you don’t fit all of these qualifications, but believe you’re still a great fit, feel free to apply and tell us why in your cover letter.
Definitive Hiring Philosophy
Definitive Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace with equal opportunity for all applicants and teammates. Our goal is to recruit the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other status. If you’re interested in working in a fast growing, exciting working environment – we encourage you to apply!