Technical Manager - Software Development
Engineering | San Francisco, CA | Full Time and Temp to Perm
CrowdFlower is the essential human-in-the-loop AI platform for data science and machine learning teams. The CrowdFlower software platform trains, tests, and tunes machine learning models to make AI work in the real world. CrowdFlower’s technology and expertise supports a wide range of use cases including autonomous vehicles, intelligent personal assistants, medical image labeling, consumer product identification, content categorization, customer support ticket classification, social data insight, CRM data enrichment, product categorization, and search relevance.
Headquartered in San Francisco and backed by Canvas Ventures, Trinity Ventures, Industry Ventures, Microsoft Ventures, and Salesforce Ventures, CrowdFlower serves Fortune 500 and fast-growing data-driven organizations across a wide variety of industries. For more information, visit www.crowdflower.com
The Ideal Candidate
You are an experienced software development leader who knows how to design and implement scalable, resilient, secure and responsive systems. You like to work with different technologies and are passionate about learning new things. You take pride in building high performance teams and in building well architected systems. You read blogs, books & attend seminars in order to stay current with both management & development best practices. You will help ensure we continue to evolve and keep our edge as a world-class development team building great products. You are looking to join a team where you can make a difference while also being challenged to improve your own skills. You know that great software can only come from collaboration and want to work with teams that feel the same way.
- Support & enhance your team through coaching, training, hiring & team building activities.
- Lead the design and development of robust, scalable systems built with modern design patterns in a micro-services architecture.
- Promote best practices for writing maintainable, well-tested code within a disciplined, scrum based agile process.
- Own product areas and lead the management of technical debt and ongoing support for multiple components.
- Collaborate with other groups i.e. product management, customer success, QA to ensure the company delivers high quality products to our customers.
- Collaborate with other engineering managers to manage cross-cutting issues and support department & company goals.
Skills & Experience:
- A bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science (or equivalent)
- Minimum of 8 years of work experience with at least 2 years of management experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of software development experience with Java. Experience with RoR is an asset.
- Expertise in building high performance, highly scalable solutions deployed on the cloud (AWS or others)
- Experience with a range of data stores, including relational (SQL), column-oriented and key-value stores such as Postgres, Memcache, Redis and RedShift.
- Creative, independent, self-motivated and willing to learn new technologies.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, agile development, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience with the following technologies will be a definite asset:
- AWS platform and its many components (S3, API Gateway, etc)
- Microservices architecture
- Swagger and RESTful API design
- Docker containerization