Manager, BPO Partner Success
Success | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
CrowdFlower is the essential human-in-the-loop AI platform for data science and machine learning teams. The CrowdFlower software platform trains, tests, and tunes machine learning models to make AI work in the real world. CrowdFlower’s technology and expertise supports a wide range of use cases including autonomous vehicles, intelligent personal assistants, medical image labeling, consumer product identification, content categorization, customer support ticket classification, social data insight, CRM data enrichment, product categorization, and search relevance.
Headquartered in the Mission District in San Francisco and backed by Canvas Ventures, Trinity Ventures, Industry Ventures, Microsoft Ventures, and Salesforce Ventures, CrowdFlower serves Fortune 500 and fast-growing data-driven organizations across a wide variety of industries. For more information, visit www.crowdflower.com.
About the Role
Underlying the CrowdFlower platform is a marketplace for data-management tasks which is supported by a vast network of online human contributors from all over the world who complete those tasks. Each data-management task has its own specific requirements in terms of the human resource needed to deliver it. These requirements range from contributors who speak a specific language or live in a specific geography, to contributors who have a certain skill or competency, to contributors who can meet certain security protocols.
In order to meet these ever-evolving customer requirements, CrowdFlower has partnered with a diverse set of organizations (“channels”) around the world in order to source the right people for each project. An increasingly important partner category is the BPO (Business Process Outsourcing) as they have enabled us to take on increasingly complex use cases as well as handle our customer’s most sensitive data. As the Manager, BPO Partner Success within the BPO & Contributor Success team, you will prospect and onboard new partners as customer needs develop, manage our relationships with existing BPO partners and act as a point of escalation, and play a vital role in helping CrowdFlower deliver successful BPO-led projects for our customers. In this role, you will be a player/coach working together with the BPO Success Manager(s) to ensure new projects are successfully scoped, prioritized and delivered.
This is a very hands-on role and you will be expected to "wear many hats". It’s one part project management, one part people management, one part account management, and one part business development with opportunities for career growth in the functional areas of greatest interest to the right candidate. You will work closely with Success, Sales and Product and will gain great experience working with people and organizations from all over the world. This role will report to the Director, BPO & Contributor Success.
- Work with Customer Success and Sales to both gather and deeply understand any current and prospective customer requirements that might have implications on human resourcing
- Coach and enable the BPO Success Manager(s) to ensure successful delivery of customer projects
- Manage day-to-day relationships with key BPO partners to make sure they feel engaged, supported, financially stable and eager for additional projects (includes regular status calls at odd hours due to timezone differences)
- Act as point of escalation for BPO partners as necessary
- Prospect for and onboard new BPO partners that help drive our business forward, consistently staying ahead of customer demand to make sure we’re always positioned for success
- Coordinate cross functionally with Customer Success, Sales, Product and key strategic global BPO partners to scope and track progress against high-value customer projects and POCs
- Manage RFP and costing exercises between Customer Success/Sales and BPO partners in cases when competitive project pricing bids are necessary
- Actively track relative workloads between BPO partners and route additional opportunities to ensure a healthy competitive balance
- Provide end-to-end leadership and execution of projects while coordinating with key strategic BPO partners
- Manage project schedules, identify risks and regularly communicate progress to all key stakeholders
- Constantly monitor ongoing projects and identify areas for improvement (e.g. cost efficiencies, throughput, etc) and provide recommendations for process improvements.
- Has ideally sourced and integrated BPOs on behalf of a product company with a 2 sided marketplace
- 5+ years of experience working with or employed at BPOs or organizations in a related field
- 3+ years experience managing a team in a player/coach capacity
- Experience working for a technology company and demonstrable success in an external-facing role
- Comfortable communicating with people from a variety of countries, languages and cultures
- Exceptional written and verbal skills. You’re comfortable communicating with a variety of stakeholders (both functional peers and those at the executive level) from both internal and external organizations
- Proven ability to manage and “quarterback” a diverse group of individuals to coordinate against a single project
- An obsession with creating processes that are efficient, nimble and effective
- Excellent organization and ability to juggle multiple projects and prioritize effectively
- Comfortable working with and/or learning a variety of technical process/tools
- Willingness to travel (up to 25%)
- Proficiency in a foreign language (e.g. French, German, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin Chinese, Portuguese, Spanish)
- Some experience with with basic HTML/CSS