Veterinarian Office | Gainesville, FL | Full Time
Job Title: Veterinary Technician
Reports to: Associate Veterinarian
FLSA Status: Hourly Non - Exempt
The veterinary technician is the veterinarian’s primary medical support. They begin the examination procedure and continue to assist the doctor throughout the examination, diagnosis and treatment phases. They aid the veterinarians in achieving greater efficiency by relieving them of technical work and administrative detail. They have a very significant role in communicating and educating clients about their pets.
JOB DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Provide compassionate care to patients and clients.
- Conduct oneself in a confident and professional manner even when stressed and/or focused on individual tasks.
- Legibly keep accurate medical records in accordance to hospital policy.
- Prepare and maintain the exam rooms and treatment areas.
- Perform physical assessments; record observations legibly in files or computer.
- Effectively restrain pets even when large or difficult.
- Understands all common vaccinations and vaccination protocols and can explain to clients.
- Understands the importance of a clean and orderly facility, does not hesitate to clean or organize as part of a normal job duty.
- Maintains positive, cooperative relationships with other employees.
- Gives SQ, IM and IV injections.
- Handle client’s medical questions with confidence and direct to veterinarians when appropriate.
- Prepare estimates for procedures and discuss financial commitments with clients supporting hospital financial policies.
- Explain necessary follow-up and homecare instructions.
- Understands usage, dosage, and common side-effects for commonly used prescription drugs and can readily explain them to the clients.
- Maintain an appropriate inventory of all medical supplies as determined by the inventory control system.
- Assist the veterinarian in medical, surgical and dental procedures; prepares patients for surgery; administers anesthesia; monitors patients during surgery and recovery; administers fluids.
- Properly care for all surgical materials; keep the operating room properly stocked and prepared for surgery.
- Perform emergency procedures such as control of bleeding, resuscitation with oxygen, opening airways, and external cardiac massage.
- Perform clinical laboratory procedures such as fecal flotation exams, heartworm checks, skin scrapings, urinalysis, and fungal cultures; draws blood for laboratory analysis; maintains file of lab test results and ensures that test results are recorded in patient records.
- Effectively position for and take radiographs.
- Place IV catheters and properly care for them. Understands the use and care of IV pumps as well.
- Knows common disease states and can alert veterinarians when symptoms change or when concerns arise with hospitalized patients.
- Prepare a patient and the machine for an ultrasound procedure.
- Admit patients following hospital policy and doctors written orders.
- Discharge patients based on the veterinarian’s orders, ensuring that patients are well groomed and in a medically appropriate state.
- May be required to cross train and perform other duties
- Minimum two years’ experience as veterinary technician or assistant
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 18 years old
- Veterinary Technician Certification (CVT) desirable but not required
- Genuinely enjoys working with animals and is able to deal with them even when they are stressed, ill or in pain
- Can stay calm and efficient during a medical crisis
- Is well-spoken and approaches his/her job duties in a mature nature
- Is experienced in the teamwork approach and works well with all levels of hospital team members
- Has excellent client communication skills
- Ability to lift and carry animals up to 40 lbs (will be assisted by other staff members in lifting animals over 40 lbs)
- Ability to sit/stand/walk for long periods of time; frequently works in a bent position.
- May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate