Veterinarian Office | Gainesville, FL | Full Time
Tired of curbside appointments, working late nights and weekends? Love assisting with surgeries and dentals? Wanting a company that you grow with and offers a flexible work schedule? Apply with Country Critters Veterinary Clinic. We offer PTO, medical, dental, 401k and many more benefits!
JOB DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Provide compassionate care to patients and clients.
- Conduct oneself in a confident and professional manner even when stressed and/or focused on individual tasks.
- Legibly keep accurate medical records in accordance to hospital policy.
- Prepare and maintain the exam rooms and treatment areas.
- Perform physical assessments; record observations legibly in files or computer.
- Effectively restrain pets even when large or difficult.
- Understands all common vaccinations and vaccination protocols and can explain to clients.
- Understands the importance of a clean and orderly facility, does not hesitate to clean or organize as part of a normal job duty.
- Maintains positive, cooperative relationships with other employees.
- Gives SQ, IM and IV injections.
- Handle client’s medical questions with confidence and direct to veterinarians when appropriate.
- Prepare estimates for procedures and discuss financial commitments with clients supporting hospital financial policies.
- Explain necessary follow-up and homecare instructions.
- Understands usage, dosage, and common side-effects for commonly used prescription drugs and can readily explain them to the clients.
- Maintain an appropriate inventory of all medical supplies as determined by the inventory control system.
- Assist the veterinarian in medical, surgical and dental procedures; prepares patients for surgery; administers anesthesia; monitors patients during surgery and recovery; administers fluids.
- Properly care for all surgical materials; keep the operating room properly stocked and prepared for surgery.
- Perform emergency procedures such as control of bleeding, resuscitation with oxygen, opening airways, and external cardiac massage.
- Perform clinical laboratory procedures such as fecal flotation exams, heartworm checks, skin scrapings, urinalysis, and fungal cultures; draws blood for laboratory analysis; maintains file of lab test results and ensures that test results are recorded in patient records.
- Effectively position for and take radiographs.
- Place IV catheters and properly care for them. Understands the use and care of IV pumps as well.
- Knows common disease states and can alert veterinarians when symptoms change or when concerns arise with hospitalized patients.
- Prepare a patient and the machine for an ultrasound procedure.
- Admit patients following hospital policy and doctors written orders.
- Discharge patients based on the veterinarian’s orders, ensuring that patients are well groomed and in a medically appropriate state.
- May be required to cross train and perform other duties
- Minimum two years’ experience as veterinary technician or assistant
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 18 years old
- Veterinary Technician Certification (CVT) desirable but not required
- Genuinely enjoys working with animals and is able to deal with them even when they are stressed, ill or in pain
- Can stay calm and efficient during a medical crisis
- Is well-spoken and approaches his/her job duties in a mature nature
- Is experienced in the teamwork approach and works well with all levels of hospital team members
- Has excellent client communication skills
- Ability to lift and carry animals up to 40 lbs (will be assisted by other staff members in lifting animals over 40 lbs)
- Ability to sit/stand/walk for long periods of time; frequently works in a bent position.
- May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate