Veterinarian Office | Gainesville, FL | Full Time and Part Time
We are Re-Opening! Covid-19 may have forced us to close our doors for a while, but we are ready to re-open and serve our clients, patients, and community again!
We offer a complete benefit package including medical, dental, and vision insurance and a 401 (k). Join the Country Critters family!
The purpose of the veterinary assistant is to be the veterinary technician’s primary support. They assist in restraining pets and test set up for the examination procedure. They aid the technicians in achieving greater efficiency by relieving them of some of the routine work. They have a very significant role in freeing up the technicians to assist the veterinarian with medical procedures.
JOB DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Provide compassionate care to patients and clients.
- Conduct oneself in a confident and professional manner even when stressed and/or focused on individual tasks.
- Legibly keep accurate medical records in accordance with hospital policy.
- Quickly learn to use practice management software.
- Prepare and maintain the exam rooms and treatment areas.
- Perform physical assessments; record observations legibly in files or computer.
- Effectively restrain pets even when large or difficult.
- Knows all common vaccines and vaccination protocols and can explain to clients.
- Understands the importance of a clean and orderly facility, does not hesitate to clean or organize as part of a normal job duty.
- Maintains positive, cooperative relationships with other employees.
- Prepare estimates for procedures and discuss financial commitments with clients supporting hospital financial policies.
- Explain necessary follow-up and homecare instructions.
- Properly care for all surgical materials and equipment; keep the operating room properly stocked and prepared for surgery.
- Set up clinical laboratory procedures such as fecal flotation exams, heartworm checks, skin scrapings, urinalysis, ear cytology and fungal cultures; maintains file of lab test results and ensures that test results are recorded in patient records.
- Effectively position for and take radiographs.
- Understands the use and care of IV pumps.
- Admit patients following hospital policy and doctors written orders.
- Discharge patients based on the veterinarian’s orders, ensuring that patients are well groomed and in a medically appropriate state.
- Performs other duties as assigned including assisting in other areas.
- May be required to cross train and perform other duties
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 18 years old
- Previous animal care background is desirable, but not required
- Can stay calm and efficient during a medical crisis
- Is well-spoken and approaches his/her job duties in a mature nature
- Is experienced in the teamwork approach and works well with all levels of hospital team members
- Excellent client communication skills
- Ability to lift and carry animals up to 40 lbs (will be assisted by other staff members in lifting animals over 40 lbs)
- Ability to sit/stand/walk for long periods of time; frequently works in a bent position.
- May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.