HIM | Remote Home Office | Full Time
Remote VA Experienced Outpatient Medical Coders
As a result of recent new contracts awarded under the new 5-year VHA National Medical Coding BPA, Cooper Thomas, LLC, a leading provider of medical coding services to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), has immediate openings for experienced Outpatient Coders. Qualified candidates may be entitled to a Signing Bonus of $500 for Full-Time and $300 for 1099/Subcontractor applicants. Applicants must have at least 2 years of experience for full-time (W-2) or part-time (1099) remote coding positions, with the opportunity for a flexible schedule. Previous experience with VA is required, whether as a VA employee or with another VA contractor. You must be able to pass an initial entrance exam and code at a minimum of 95% accuracy. This work will be performed remotely in your home office. Preference will be given to those candidates who meet the qualifications below and have an active Background Investigation, PIV Card, eToken, and DMA or Multi-farm CAG Account.
- Must be able to perform the full scope of multi-specialty OP clinic, ED, minor procedures, radiology, rehabilitation, and lab encounters utilizing ICD-10, CPT, and HCPCS codes.
- At least two (2) years of VA or other relevant coding experience, either as a VA employee or with another Government contractor supporting VA
- Ability to code a minimum average of 10 Outpatient encounters per hour with 95% accuracy
- Must produce copies of and maintain active credentials as a certified coder or auditor
- Ability to follow site-specific coding guidelines
- Familiar with E/M leveling for OP and ED visits using 95’, 97’ and 2021 guidelines
- Familiar with E/M calculator and ability to use this tool proficiently
- Familiar with 3M Encoder for ICD10 and CPT coding
- Knowledge in anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, pathology and disease processes, pharmacology, health record format and content, reimbursement methodologies and conventions, rules and guidelines for current classification systems (ICD, CPT, HCPCS).
- Must be able to complete work within the required TAT of 5 days from the date of assignment.
Accepted Coding Credentials
American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA):
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) / Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) / Certified Coding Specialist-Physician (CCS-P)
American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC):
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Outpatient Coder (COC)
- Certified Professional Medical Auditor (CPMA)
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Cooper Thomas, LLC is a leading provider of health information management services. Established in Washington, DC in 2003, Cooper Thomas offers a competitive salary and benefits package, opportunities for quality bonuses, and the opportunity for growth. The selected candidate will be required to undergo a background investigation. Veterans encouraged to apply. Equal opportunity employer.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To apply, please go to the “Careers” section of our website at www.cooperthomas.com, and follow the instructions to register and apply.