Lead Facilitator/Coach - NY
Cooper | New York, NY | Full Time
If you believe that Design Thinking can help organizations become more innovative and creative, you love teaching working professionals and helping them grow, and you’re excited to help other teachers get better, read on.
We’re looking for a Lead Facilitator and Coach who will help us execute on a new vision for professional education. Tactically, that means you will teach our in-person courses, you’ll serve as coach to our client teams, and you’ll mentor other teachers. You must be committed to creating a highly engaging learning experience, adapting to learner needs in real time, and ensuring that participants can apply what they learn to their own work. You understand that we are delivering a service experience, and you think holistically about the entire learning experience – from the music you play when they walk in the door to the way you provide feedback on their work-in-progress. You’re excited to be a part of a teaching community and help that community continually raise its own bar.
You are excited about this opportunity because you will...
- Serve as lead instructor; can currently teach to a wide range of human-centered design and leadership topics and are excited to continually expand your range. See travel and teaching volume below.
- Coach clients in leadership skills and the application of human-centered design methodologies to their own projects. Provide mentorship, review work, offer constructive feedback, and help them set growth goals. Coaching happens in both individual and team contexts, and may be remote or on-site with clients.
- Customize curriculum to corporate client needs.
- Mentor other teachers; help them strengthen their teaching, facilitation and coaching soft skills. Do this in a variety of ways: model good teaching, help them prepare to teach new classes, provide feedback on teaching, lead teaching soft skills trainings, etc.
We are excited about you because you have...
- 5+ years experience practicing human-centered design and teaching in corporate environments.
- Experience incorporating improv techniques (and other non-traditional teaching tools) into learning experiences.
- Examples of when you’ve walked into a variety of client organizations, quickly adapted, and taught/coached with confidence.
- Voracious appetite for learning and pushing your own practice.
- Entrepreneurial spirit; naturally self-directed and accountable.
- You believe wholeheartedly that learning should be fun.
- Bonus: Experience coaching individuals/teams, designing curriculum, teaching in nontraditional environments like summer camps.
Environmental and physical job requirements
Travel will vary based upon the ebbs and flows of consulting. At minimum, you’ll teach some of our public courses in New York and San Francisco (approx. 2 weeks, nonconsecutive days per quarter) and 2-3 corporate training engagements/month onsite at client locations (1-5 days long, usually within the USA, but sometimes international).
Must be able to stand for long periods of time when teaching in-person day-long courses.
Our mission is to provide transformative learning journeys that build and reinforce customer-centered, innovative organizational cultures. Today, we do this through three key services:
Public courses in San Francisco and New York: We teach 1-4 day courses in leadership and human-centered design to working professionals from a wide range of industries. Average class size: 25.
Corporate training: We bring our courses to organizations all over the world.
Coaching: We coach teams in leadership skills and the application of human-centered methodologies in-context, on their own projects, in real-time.
We’ve been consulting in strategy, product and service design for 25 years, and pioneered many of the design thinking tools used throughout our industry today. We’ve been teaching for 16 years. We teach what we practice on real-world client engagements, and we’re obsessed with ensuring that our training is practical, relatable, and engaging. Our faculty are highly skilled in design, facilitation and coaching, and hyper-focused on delivering engaging, impactful learning experiences. Last but not least, we love *improv*.