Accounting & Finance | Silver Spring, MD | Full Time
Cook Ross Inc. is a Silver Spring, Maryland-based consulting firm specializing in diversity, inclusion, leadership development, and organizational change management. We are proud to have as our mission a commitment to transform the world to be more inclusive, one organization at a time.
Founded in 1989, Cook Ross has for many years provided powerful solutions through consulting, training, and online products to thousands of organizations across the United States and around the world. We are thought leaders and innovators in our field, having been internationally recognized for our research and work that explores the inherent human tendency toward bias, and how this consciously and unconsciously impact the way employees, vendors, and customers from different backgrounds all relate to each other.
Our company’s growth has been significant over the past six years having grown from 10 employees to more than 40, tripling our revenue, and creating even greater impact for our clients.
We are looking for a Staff Accountant with some previous accounting experience, who can help the organization streamline Accounts Payable as well as other accounting functions, while engaging our team and clients. This position reports into the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and will hold primary responsibility for working closely with our internal team, external consultants, and clients to add to our financial health and well-being. Additionally, this person will be asked to leverage Microsoft Dynamics and Excel reporting to suggest better and more streamlined processes within Finance.
Accounts Payable (A/P)
The accounts payable function is important to the timely payments of company’s liabilities and to ensure continued benefit from vendor services. The staff accountant will:
- Ensure all vendor bills (printed and electronic) are accurate
- Enter invoices into the accounting system
- Maintain vendor files for paid and unpaid bills
- On approval from CFO, cut checks on a weekly basis
- Process vendor’s ACH payments
- Reconcile the A/P subsidiary ledger with the General Ledger
- Reconcile the A/P Aging Summary, Sub-ledger with Trial Balance numbers
- Close the A/P module in the accounting system
Employees and consultants submit expenses for reimbursement via our Microsoft Dynamics (MD) expense system. Ensuring the timely processing of these expenses are necessary for accurate and relevant financial statements. The staff accountant will:
- Review all submitted expenses via Microsoft Dynamics
- Review the General Ledger coding for all expenses and match receipts with submitted expenses
- Approve first round of expenses and post them in MD for payment
- Distribute monthly American Express statements to all cardholders and reconcile charges with submitted expense
- Help the Accounting Manager retrieve receipts for submission to clients
Time Card Process
- Review employee time cards for accuracy and process
- Send weekly reminder to all employees for submission of time cards
- Ensure accurate time postings to the right period and project
General Ledger (G/L)
Accurate financial reporting comes from accurate general ledger accounts. To improve reliance on the financial reports, reconciled general ledger accounts with supporting schedule is necessary. As such, the position is responsible for the following:
- Develop and manage supporting schedules for G/L accounts
- Create Ad hoc reports for business operations, as instructed
- Generate journal entries when needed
- Reconcile specific G/L account monthly
- Maintain our fixed assets schedule
- Undergrad degree in finance, economics or accounting preferred
- Two or more years of general accounting experience with a focus in A/P. A strong understanding of the P&L, balance sheet, and cash flow statements and creating algorithms within spreadsheets that allow for quick and efficient sensitivity analyses
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics /Great Plains is desired. Demonstrated experience with financial reporting systems, statements and reports. Must possess advanced skills in Excel and other technology tools. Should have intermediate knowledge and skill set with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Must possess analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with other functional departments and provide key financial and strategic thinking. Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written form
Our employees are our greatest asset and we believe in and value our employees. We recognize that employees must work in an environment that supports their life goals. Therefore, we offer an attractive compensation package that includes:
- A competitive salary
- An attractive medical, dental, and vision plan, 75% employer paid.
- Contributions made to your health expenses
- 401(k) Contributions
- Nine paid holidays, including the last week of December off, company paid.
- Paid vacation and sick days away from work
- Paid personal time off
- Paid volunteer hours off
- Parking or public transportation stipend
- Charitable donation matching
- A professional development stipend
- Great coffee, tea, and snacks
To learn more about Cook Ross, visit our website at www.cookross.com. If you match the criteria above and are ready to work for a fast-paced and mission driven organization, we invite you to share your interest by applying for the job.