Human Resources Manager
Operations | Silver Spring, MD | Full Time
Cook Ross Inc. is a Silver Spring, Maryland-based consulting firm specializing in diversity, inclusion, leadership development, and organizational change management. We are proud to have as our mission a commitment to transform the world to be more inclusive, one organization at a time.
Founded in 1989, Cook Ross has for many years provided powerful solutions through consulting, training, and online products to thousands of organizations across the United States and around the world. We are thought leaders and innovators in our field, having been internationally recognized for our research and work that explores the inherent human tendency toward bias, and how this consciously and unconsciously impact the way employees, vendors, and customers from different backgrounds all relate to each other.
Our company’s growth has been significant over the past six years having grown from 10 employees to more than 40, tripling our revenue, and creating even greater impact for our clients. To further support our growth and expansion plans, Cook Ross is seeking an experienced Human Resources (HR) Manager to join its leadership team.
The Human Resources (HR) Manager actively collaborates with Cook Ross leaders to enable full execution of HR processes, programs, and initiatives to drive the achievement of the company’s strategic business priorities. This role reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and serves on the Cook Ross Leadership team in a human resources generalist capacity, acting as a strategic business partner and positively advocates for management and employees to maintain a highly engaged, diverse, inclusive, & high performing work culture. The HR Manager is responsible for the strategic oversight and execution of full life cycle employee management to include sourcing and recruitment, on-boarding, employee development, performance management, policy development and implementation, compensation and benefits strategy and administration, employee relations management, employment law compliance and leadership support and counsel. This role will partner with the COO to define, implement, and execute the diversity, inclusion, accessibility and equity strategy for the company. This position offers a high degree of independence and job variety and will require confident management, initiative, flexibility, business acumen and creativity.
Talent Management, Sourcing & Recruitment
- This position leads and manages the complete employment life cycle activities for Cook Ross, from employee sourcing through termination and alumni relations, including
- Sourcing & recruiting,
- On-boarding of new hires,
- Enhancing or establishing HR systems and/or processes where needed
- Ensuring effective communications through each life-cycle phase to proactively inform all relevant stakeholders involved
- Partnering with Cook Ross Leadership to strategically integrate diversity and inclusion within HR systems and processes and to manage talent review and succession planning processes
Compensation and Benefits
- The HR Manager will partner with leadership to
- Design & execute compensation strategy, overseeing and actively executing the annual compensation process including the management and execution of company payroll and department budget.
- Manage Cook Ross’ suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs), life insurance, STD/LTD in accordance with policies ensuring diversity in our plans and offerings
- Manage our vendor relationships
- Communicate the company’s goals around compensation & benefits and desire to provide an fair and equitable environment.
Employee Engagement and Employee Relations
- The HR Manager serves as a confidential key point of contact to provide leadership, guidance and direction in managing employee relations issues with all parties involved, including investigation and mediation as needed. They also provide guidance and collaborate with Cook Ross’ leadership team to strategically address employee engagement in a systemic manner, and to ensure a diverse and inclusive environment that promotes our THRIVE culture where equity, accessibility and well-being are focused upon with intention.
Performance Management and Development
- This role partners with the COO to provide oversight, & independently directs the execution of Cook Ross’ performance management process and the associated development required to embed it in the culture including:
- Providing counsel, recommendations and support to leadership team in managing performance, including coaching, counseling and partnership across each phase of the performance management process.
- Providing strategic input regarding the workforce planning process
- Conducting HR process and programmatic trainings such as Open Enrollment, Performance Feedback, Roles and Responsibilities, Interviewing, and other relevant topics as needed.
- The HR Manager generates and maintains HR information and manage relevant employee processes in HRIS system in alignment with local, state, and federal laws and compliance with EEOC as needed, developing reports for senior leadership.
- Additionally, this position owns the ongoing and regularly scheduled maintenance & communication of the Cook Ross Employee Handbook - including annual updates to ensure employees are informed on how to comply with company-wide policies, and HR programs, procedures and guidelines.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3 + years HR generalist and sourcing and recruiting experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written/verbal/presentation)
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of employment law, both state and federal
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage the full employee life-cycle HR function for a team or department
- Previous experience and demonstrated capability using HRIS and Applicant Tracking Systems and performance management tools/platforms
- Prior experience in effectively managing employee relations issues within changing environments
- Demonstrated independent thinking and business judgment, ability to apply knowledge and experience in solving complex challenges/making recommendations where no precedent may exist
- Intermediate skill level using MS Office (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook)
- Detail oriented, with the ability to manage multiple tasks in parallel on an ongoing basis
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 2 + years’ experience working in a professional services / consulting organization
- SHRM CP or SHRM-SCP certification(s) or Masters in HR
- Professional, self-motivated, detail and results oriented, flexible, compassionate
- Ability to operate at strategic and operational levels, experience developing and delivering management reports
- Previous experience initiating, building and developing HR systems and processes to drive strategic business objectives & a high performance culture
Our employees are our greatest asset and we believe in and value our employees. We recognize that employees must work in an environment that supports their life goals. Our intention is to be a place where our team members thrive. Therefore, we offer an attractive total compensation package that includes:
- A competitive salary
- An attractive medical, dental, and vision plan, 75% employer paid.
- Contributions made to your health savings account
- 401(k) contribution
- Nine paid holidays, including the last week of December off, company paid.
- Paid vacation and sick days away from work
- Paid personal time off
- Paid volunteer hours off
- Charitable donation matching
- An education/professional development/tuition reimbursement stipend
To learn more about Cook Ross, visit our website at www.cookross.com. If you match the criteria above and are ready to work for a fast-paced and mission driven organization, we invite you to share your interest by applying for the job.