Director of Finance
Operations | Silver Spring, MD | Full Time
Cook Ross Inc. is a Silver Spring, Maryland-based consulting firm specializing in diversity, inclusion, leadership development, and organizational change management. We are proud to have as our mission a commitment to transform the world to be more inclusive, one organization at a time.
Founded in 1989, Cook Ross has for many years provided powerful solutions through consulting, training, and online products to thousands of organizations across the United States and around the world. We are thought leaders and innovators in our field, having been internationally recognized for our research and work that explores the inherent human tendency toward bias, and how this consciously and unconsciously impact the way employees, vendors, and customers from different backgrounds all relate to each other.
Our company’s growth has been significant over the past six years having grown from 10 employees to more than 40, and over 380% increase in revenue in that time period. To further support our growth plans, Cook Ross is looking for a Director of Finance who can guide the business into our next future business phase. This position will oversee all finance, accounting and reporting activities for the company, managing an $11 million budget. This position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer, working closely with the Leadership Team to support the making of educated economic decisions about the company's future. This position will also collaborate with the HR and IT to enhance and better integrate finance with the HR and IT functions.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director of Finance is responsible for educating the entire organization on company finance and accounting procedures in addition to developing modeling and forecasting capabilities to support the business strategy. Following are a list of responsibilities expected of the role.
- Assist in formulating the company's future direction and developing the performance measures that support strategic direction
- Manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting and Revenue Recognition
- Provide timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports and financial trends in order to assist the CEO/President, the Board and other senior executives in performing their responsibilities
- Maximize the return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems
- Work with the CEO to develop an annual and a long-term budget and monitor budget with comparison to actual outcomes
- Oversee the completion of Federal and State tax reporting requirements in collaboration with external accounting firm
- Monitor contracts and sales revenue, comparing expectations to actuals
- Protect assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls
- Provide direction and leadership to direct reports; guide and coach team members towards completion of day-to-day responsibilities
- Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs.
- Be an advisor from the financial perspective on any contracts into which the corporation may enter.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a mature leader with seven to ten years of accounting and finance experience, ideally with consulting business experience, and skilled in presenting and reporting financial information to executives to maximize business goal achievements.
- Proven work experience as a financial business partner, in a growth environment
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) in accounting or business administration from four-year college or university; Master’s and/or CPA required
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
- Experience with Salesforce is preferred
Our employees are our greatest asset and we believe in and value our employees. We recognize that employees must work in an environment that supports their life goals. Therefore, we offer an attractive compensation package that includes:
- A competitive salary
- An attractive medical, dental, and vision plan, 80% employer paid.
- Contributions made to your health savings account
- 401K with a matching
- Nine paid holidays, including the last week of December off, company paid.
- Contributions to aid with transit and parking fees.
- Paid birthday off
- Paid volunteer hours off
- Charitable donation matching
- A professional development stipend
- Great coffee, tea, and snacks
To learn more about Cook Ross, visit our website at www.cookross.com. If you match the criteria above and are ready to work for a fast-paced and mission driven organization, we invite you to share your interest by applying for the job.