Finance | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
What You’ll Do
- People leadership: provide ongoing coaching and development to the staff; create an inspiring vision for the accounting team as the company enters its next chapter of growth; drive speed and accuracy to ensure there's plenty of time for high-value work on forward-looking decision support
- Financial reporting: lead month-end and year-end close process; perform reviews to ensure accuracy and compliance with GAAP; publish timely financial statements including bank reporting; analyze variances from plan
- Agent of change: be a collaborative business partner with other groups (such as Sales, Marketing, Ops) and never stop to look for opportunities to streamline corporate processes and to improve productivities
- Maintain internal controls: enforce proper authorization and accurate recording of all transactions; study and map business processes for A/P, A/R, payroll, date integrity, payments etc., and look for ways to streamline; safeguard all assets (cash, investments, fixed assets, etc.), develop and manage fraud program and relevant control processes
- Manage working capital: drive improvements in the areas of cash, dasher and merchant operations, purchasing, etc.
- Treasury: oversee and safeguard cash: maintain excellent relationship with our bank payment processors
- Tax and audit oversight: year end-audit, periodic bank audits and tax reporting with outside CPAs.
- Technical lead: Lead the team to assess, implement changes, and monitor compliance based on ASC 606, 718, new FASB pronouncements, and any other industry technical guidance
- Systems/ERP: be a super-user and lead the implementation of expanded data mining and reporting capabilities. Serve as the lead on any system changes that require interdepartmental coordination
The ideal candidate will be an experienced Controller who loves the numbers but can also plug into a committed, passionate team of accountants that believes in our mission to build a last mile logistic platform for local commerce. Experienced and ready to take that next step with a growth company, the Controller must be willing to be a "player-coach" with strong fundamental skills and an ability to communicate a vision for the department and take the business to a higher level.
- Strong communication skills - numbers are key, but a business is built with people. Cross-functional relationships and effective communication to non-financial audiences are critical to making an impact
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, combined with impeccable business judgment and ability to communicate with management team
- A resourceful, action-oriented individual who possesses a proactive sense of urgency, and who knows how to overcome obstacles to get things done in a timely fashion
- Robust technical accounting experience, that can be used as a sounding board for the team and a source of guidance for accounting policies and procedures as we expand
- Attention to detail meets high output - we need to do things quickly and we need to do them well
- CPA licensed in California with public accounting experience (Big4 is a plus)
- 5+ years of recent financial accounting experience with an enterprise SaaS software company and with at least 7+ years in managing and scaling an accounting team
- Past experience as a Controller taking a company from $30MM to $100MM+
- Strong system skills and past experience implementing financial systems a plus
- Industry experience from pre-IPO through IPO experience strongly preferred
- Strong leadership and ability to attract, develop and coach high caliber individuals and teams
- Experience with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, implementation and maintenance of internal controls